Login    Register

Galway Run, the great retro mx5 robbery weekend DAY 2

Planning a run or tech-day? Post the details here
  • Author
Galway Run, the great retro mx5 robbery weekend DAY 2

Postby tigger » Thu, 07 May 2009 2:02 +0000

Hi Folks,

Well this is the main day of all the action, so I hope you enjoy the latest hot from the printing press edition of the Great retro robbery DAY 2.......

Hehe Enjoy and thanks for the feed back :o)
Day 2 of the Great retro mx5 robbery run

Ok where to start, after signing off from last nights shock and awe bow chicka wow wow local Spiddal night. I suppose its best to start at the start and let the good times roll.

Well hmmm I suppose it starts even before the allocated meeting time as I thought I was starring in the latest horror movie with an axe murder after me. I heard him hammering on my door as I slept around 6 am!! I awoke to see the door nearly broken off its hinges! First I ducked under the duvet in my batman pjs! But the hero broke out of me and got up to check.

It was no axe murder but a draft which was making the door bang, I thought it was because it was a country house but I later found out that Ollie was trying to turn into Mr Freeze by leaving the window open, for some as Ollie put it " its natural air conditioning" holy crap it was like -15 and I had to wear all my clothes just to get to breakfast!!! Ollie was quite calm, cool and was at breakfast all refreshed.

During breakfast we all started the banter again looking forward to the days driving and zooming around the local scenery, while we tucked into our breakfast. Then Ollie mentioned how the B&B was sooooo cool it had the latest technology in the form of free Wifi and that he logged on, on his mobile ooooooooooo look at me hehe. Ollie decided to mention this to the owner of the B&B Siobhan and even though she took it in good spirits, there was a tone of omg, “he broke into our unbreakable unsecure network” !! Ollie mentioned he downloaded 5 movies during the night and she didn’t look pleased.

After this we finished up quick smart and we all made a quick exit to get under starters orders, and got into our zooming 5s and Mxz3.5. We refuelled and met with the Retro club who were actually organising the whole event!! They had maps, timetables and all the cool things associated with a "club" one thing was missing hmmmm….. members!!!!!! There were 5 of them and ummm this is how the robbery happened! In the mx5 enthusiast group.... (Club) there were 20 eager 5 drivers and 2 associate members. Wow hehe yes folks we had taken the retro club organisation skills and by mistake made it our own. :D Oppsie The retro club looked shocked but made the most of it all the same.

We got under way and zoomed off, we stopped a good bit up road after going through the moving town of Spiddal again, so people could start snapping there cameras and too make sure that no one was forgotten. Lucky enough all cars were still in a row, which was cool too see!! Lots of modified 5s and might I say that they are well looked after and kept. It’s an honour to know people who are so enthusiastic and interested in there beloved cars :o)

WE scooted off once more and headed for the twisties again and something I saw along the way amused me. On one of the major roads we drove on, had a work sign in As Gaelige "an T-obar Mor ar an bothar" now for those not of Irish decent that means “big work on the road". The irony that amused me was it was the smoothest road I had ever been on, better than any motorway!!!! You could play bowling on it, it was that smooth, ahhhh good old Irish roadwork’s! Wrecking the smoother than smooth! “I think we’ll pick that road to dig up its way to smooth”!!!!

After a short while we stopped again at our first port of call which was a monument that looked cool kinda ummm like ummmm hmmmm can’t decide a big wedge outta the ground (*Edit : it was the Alcock and Brown monument*). We all got out and had a look at the cars and ummm tested our kites! Yes human kites! The wind was amazing! I could actually fall into the wind and it kept me up, I was thinking of actually tying my car down cause the wind was sooo ridiculous.!!! Everyone was blown each way so it was soon enough decided to mosie on....

We scooted off again with rumbles starting in our tummies because it was nearly 12.30. We zipped through a load more roads, watching everyone’s handling was cool and I was delighted at how the MX z3.5 was handling at taking some of the more dodgy roads. Hehe Mark from the mx5 group commented later on that he had to watch Feargal in front of me too see the bumps and lows in the roads. This made me smile and it bonded me more with the new momo! Ahhh the happy couple!

We soon pulled in for nibbles and a bite to eat at a pub in the middle of no where (*Edit : Ballyconneely). I always wonder how they stay open!! One local sitting at the bar putting the owners kids through college probably!!. So we dusted ourselves off from the ginormous car park and entered. To our amazement the "club" we robbed the planning from, had organised soup and sandwiches for about 400 people. They said, they were lucky that we had robbed there weekend to eat the food hehe our group is very good at this; we scoffed our share which was quite nice. They even made me non buttered sambos ahhhhhhhh :)

After this we scooted off again zoom zoom zoom, I rang one of the mx5ers who was travelling up from Kildare that day, Shena. I left a message to say we were on our way to Kylemore Abbey where we were too meet. At this stage there was an idea that the 5ers would go on a bit more of a spin while the retro "club" get cultural and go visit and tour around. I think that the 5ers are more interested in spending there petrol tanks………….. burn rubber baby, burn rubber!!!

Unfortunately the mx5ers were at the start of the chain of cars but in the middle there were the retro cars. We got disconnected during this spin because of a Sunday driver in an ummmmmm Mazda 3. So we followed the retro cars thinking we would meet up but then we noticed we had pulled into the car park of the abbey!!!! We had missed the spin with some of the mx5ers and the rest of the group had to wait and look around the abbey. We settled in for some tea and got talkin with the retro club. I introduced myself to Ollie again and told him "I'm Dave in the blue Z3". Ollie was impressed and thanked me again for the intro. We then walked up to the gate to see if we could walk around the abbey! Nope 8 euro for the enjoyment of the abbey! Susan and Mike decided to go on a vigil up to a statue on the mountain side!! I could imagine them coming back as a monk and Sister, has a nice ring to it actually Monk Mike and Sister Susan!! hehe. We waited awhile at the gate, and decide to busk! How many people can say they busked at Kylemore Abbey!!! I through down my cap, started a rendition of an Elvis tune and a group of Spanish tourists walked bye!! They obviously didn’t think much of my Elvis but Dave, Stephanie, John C asked me for a signed copies of there fav songs on CD. :D I will duly oblige don’t worry folks. Xmas pressies are on the way.

We walked back to the cars and took some more photies and chatted about the cars while waiting for the lucky 5ers who got to go scooting around. There was no signal on our mobiles because it was a holy site and well "the power of Christ compels us" hehe. We waited another short while and then we heard the roar of 5 engines coming in the car park. Yes the lucky 5 motorists told us they had gone to a beach and had some fun sliding around the sand!! It sounded like so much fun and the photos later on were absolutely awesome! While we were lucky enough to park up and take in the sites. Oh the joys of it all, well at least the man upstairs was happy!!

After the guys joined up we got chatting again and I was told there was a crash that I hadn’t heard about earlier!!! I was shocked and even more shocked that it was two experience dark side of the force turbo drivers Frank and Stevie. Apparently Ivan had stopped for a driver and Stevie had stopped up behind him. Frank unknowingly flew around the corner hit the brakes but couldn’t avoid Stevie, the brave man decided to go into the hedges where unwittingly hit a soft spot and bounced about 4 times into Stevie's motor! It was unfortunate and the damage didn’t look to bad but the drive in both cars was affected. They were able to continue for the weekend and we have yet to hear how they have gotten on with there cars since. Let’s hope they're ok. After the shocking news we all checked the damaged, took photos of the damage for our kids, hmmm what else did we do ummmmmm ok ok we took more photos for prosperity. :D The guys ummm weren’t too impressed but took it well.

We waited another few mins; it was about 4.30 so we decided to get cracking again. Two of the mx5ers were trying to join the official retro club while on there vigil Monk Mike and Sister Susan were still away so we left a note for them!! We didn’t know how many rosarys they had to say!!!! John told us he had to leave because he was having his 2nd 21st and he was getting married again, this we thought was unusual but since he stayed in the pink room we didn’t say anymore. :D

We got back to the hotel (*Edit : Connemara coast hotel*), and finally met up with the MX5er from Kildare Shena, she unfortunately missed out on the cultural visit of the abbey! And the fun spins in the sand. We quickly had a final drink with the retro club; well it was only fair since we robbed there run! Wo hahahahahahahahaha We said goodbye to some of the Mx5er's and we then headed off to get cleaned up for some nibbles back in Spiddal.

The folks who were staying in Spiddal met up outside the local Chinese and for some grub that was overdue. We then rearrange the busiest restaurant in Spiddal for ourselves by pushing people off there own tables and pulling them all together. The owners could see that we were making a fuss but let us be because we were from the the Mx5 enthusiast group, except for me who is in the blue z3 :D

We all tucked into our food which was ok, well it didn’t kill us and everyone got enough nibbles to satisfy themselves. We made a quick getaway trying not to pay our bill but the chef came running after us with a samurai sword, so we decide ok we had better pay.

For the final leg of this tale, we went to that’s right folks to our local. We were in Spiddal for 1 day approx and we now have a local, An Tobar. This time we moved further back to see what we could dig up and what Spiddilians we could annoy. Of course I had to tear a bench off a wall for myself and Ashley, quite cosy ya know!!! After awhile Monk Mike, came along with a new recruit to the group who he was showing a brochure of the mx5 too. Not sure if it was a quick sale but they joined in anyways. It was a right ol' giggle and was funnier when Shena told us a story of how when she went for to the B&B first, she was given a room for a couple! Shena had brought a girlfriend and the owner thought they were a "couple" I got lots of mileage outta that one. We also got lots of mileage outta the fact that Feargal is 40!!! So there were quite a few rounds of Happy Birthday. Yes Folks Feargal is in the autumn of his
life. Sorry Feargal, hehe but as long as he has his 5 he is eternally youthful! Well that’s what the brochure said!!! We left about 1.30am and walked back watching the
Starry night as we walked, prepared for the adventure of the final day. Sliobh Bloom I hear ya say hmmm well wait till I tell ya!!

Well folks this is day 2 complete, I hope you can stay with me for the end of this epic tale in day3.
more bounce per ounce

Davey Tiggs G ;o)
tigger

Re: Galway Run, the great retro mx5 robbery weekend DAY 2

Postby leamyj » Thu, 07 May 2009 7:12 +0000

Well done there Tigger,you selling the movie rights????

:mrgreen:

John
leamyj

Postby mx5ash » Thu, 07 May 2009 10:02 +0000

great work dude. :lol:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3099765
"When I make a key the on position and push the button, an engine works"
mx5ash

Postby Stig » Thu, 07 May 2009 12:53 +0000

tigger wrote:Then Ollie mentioned how the B&B was sooooo cool it had the latest technology in the form of free Wifi and that he logged on, on his mobile ooooooooooo look at me hehe. Ollie decided to mention this to the owner of the B&B Siobhan and even though she took it in good spirits, there was a tone of omg, “he broke into our unbreakable unsecure network” !! Ollie mentioned he downloaded 5 movies during the night and she didn’t look pleased.

LOL.... I think I fecked it up for her polish ladsin her Apt. out back they have rented from her. Remember she said something about that.......LOL LOL
Stig

Postby Cloggy » Thu, 07 May 2009 6:22 +0000

foot :arrow: :D

yeah, I liked her reaction. :)
It got even better :shock: when you rubbed it in and went on about it LOL :lol:
That's just :twisted:
Cloggy
FUN is never a straight line!
Cloggy

Postby shenab » Wed, 13 May 2009 2:19 +0000

Great work Tigs
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Return to Runs and tech-days