Login    Register

Names for "The Ring" 2010

Planning a run or tech-day? Post the details here
  • Author
Re: Names for "The Ring" 2010

Postby Stig » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:04 +0000

Ok, was thinking and surfing, and doing some more thinking about the RING TRIP and want to share all this with ye. You may know all this already but for those that do not know, you may need to aquire some bits and pieces and make sure you have the outlined documentation with you on the trip.

Speed limits in France,are implemented rigorously. Radar traps are frequent. In France, anyone caught travelling at more than 25km/h above the speed limit can have their licence confiscated on the spot.Remember - Speeding and other traffic offences are subject to on-the-spot fines.

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document , and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Drinking and driving: Don't do it. Over 0.05 per cent and you could face anything up to imprisonment.

Fines: On the spot fines are issued. Ensure an official receipt is issued by the officer collecting the fine.

First-aid kit is advised, but not compulsory.

Fuel: All grades of unleaded petrol and diesel are available. It is allowed to carry petrol in a can. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, although they probably won't work at automatic pumps, which are often the only pumps in rural areas open out-of-hours, which also means lunch-time from noon to 3pm. It's a good idea to let your card issuer know you will be travelling abroad. This ensures they don't suspend your card if they spot it being used in unfamiliar places, which they sometimes do as an anti-fraud measure.

IRL sticker: Irish registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a IRL sticker when driving in European Union countries.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Lights: dipped headlights must be used in poor daytime visibility. Motorcycles over 125cc must use dipped headlights during the day at all times.

Minimum age for driving, provided you hold a full licence, is 18 for a car and a motorcycle over 125cc and 15 for a motorcycle under 125cc.

Motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear crash helmets.

Motor insurance: third-party insurance is compulsory. A green card is not required but your insurer should be advised of your trip.

Replacement bulb set recommended.

Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear seat occupants, if fitted.

Visibility Vests are compulsory in France from July 1st 2008, and in Austria, Belgium, Italy, Norway, Portugal and Spain (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU). The rules vary from country to country concerning number of vests required and whether they should be carried in the car or boot. Common sense suggests that there should be a vest for every occupant, and that the vests should be carried in the car, and put on before getting out. Do this and you will not have a problem.

Warning triangle is compulsory as from July 1st 2008. The triangle can be used in conjunction with hazard flashers.
Stig

Postby leamyj » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 12:17 +0000

Stig wrote:Ok, was thinking and surfing, and doing some more thinking about the RING TRIP and want to share all this with ye. You may know all this already but for those that do not know, you may need to aquire some bits and pieces and make sure you have the outlined documentation with you on the trip.

Speed limits in France,are implemented rigorously. Radar traps are frequent. In France, anyone caught travelling at more than 25km/h above the speed limit can have their licence confiscated on the spot.Remember - Speeding and other traffic offences are subject to on-the-spot fines.

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document , and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Drinking and driving: Don't do it. Over 0.05 per cent and you could face anything up to imprisonment.

Fines: On the spot fines are issued. Ensure an official receipt is issued by the officer collecting the fine.

First-aid kit is advised, but not compulsory.

Fuel: All grades of unleaded petrol and diesel are available. It is allowed to carry petrol in a can. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, although they probably won't work at automatic pumps, which are often the only pumps in rural areas open out-of-hours, which also means lunch-time from noon to 3pm. It's a good idea to let your card issuer know you will be travelling abroad. This ensures they don't suspend your card if they spot it being used in unfamiliar places, which they sometimes do as an anti-fraud measure.

IRL sticker: Irish registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a IRL sticker when driving in European Union countries.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Lights: dipped headlights must be used in poor daytime visibility. Motorcycles over 125cc must use dipped headlights during the day at all times.

Minimum age for driving, provided you hold a full licence, is 18 for a car and a motorcycle over 125cc and 15 for a motorcycle under 125cc.

Motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear crash helmets.

Motor insurance: third-party insurance is compulsory. A green card is not required but your insurer should be advised of your trip.

Replacement bulb set recommended.

Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear seat occupants, if fitted.

Visibility Vests are compulsory in France from July 1st 2008, and in Austria, Belgium, Italy, Norway, Portugal and Spain (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU). The rules vary from country to country concerning number of vests required and whether they should be carried in the car or boot. Common sense suggests that there should be a vest for every occupant, and that the vests should be carried in the car, and put on before getting out. Do this and you will not have a problem.

Warning triangle is compulsory as from July 1st 2008. The triangle can be used in conjunction with hazard flashers.

Is that all?? :shock: :shock: :shock:
leamyj

Postby Ivan » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 9:27 +0000

Thank you daddy
Ivan

Postby shenab » Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:54 +0000

Stig

thanks a mil. Last time I drove across the channel was over 5 years ago and I knew none of this.

FYI Amazon has a great selection of foldable triangles and headlamp converters.

Shenab
Last edited by shenab on Mon, 22 Feb 2010 3:15 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby Stig » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 2:48 +0000

Well, I have a warning triange, so if anyone breaks down, we're sorted.
Re; the rest of tools possibly needed if something goes wrong with any cars in the group, I suggest the we all agree to carry one or 2 specific items, and then no one is over loaded, but yet when we put all the stuff together, we have most of what we'd need to cover most eventualities.

from the top of me head for what we'd need -
1 x warning triangle - I have
2 x 1.6 belts
2 x 1.8 belts - I'll have :wink:
1 x compact trolley jack
1 x small socket set
1 x screw driver set - I have
1 can of tyre weld
1 x booster cables

anything else? Musta missed sommit?
Stig

Postby shenab » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 3:14 +0000

If by Booster cables you mean jump leads (excuse my stupidity if not) I have a set I was planning to bring.

If not I don't!

S
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby Richie L » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 3:17 +0000

1 x warning triangle - I have
2 x 1.6 belts
2 x 1.8 belts - I'll have
1 x compact trolley jack
1 x small socket set (Richie)
1 x screw driver set - I have
1 can of tyre weld
1 x booster cables
Richie L

Postby Steve » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 3:19 +0000

Don't forget brake pads ;-)
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Stig » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 3:36 +0000

Steve wrote:Don't forget brake pads ;-)

+1,

a set of 1.6 and 1.8 ones and we'll be covered - will are mk1 and mk2 and 2.5 pads interchangable?
Stig

Postby Steve » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 3:50 +0000

I meant a set each! :lol:
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Stig » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 4:09 +0000

I hear ya, I was going to change over mine for the trip,dunno is anyone else is?
Stig

Postby Ivan » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 4:53 +0000

Hold the horses there lads. There is little point in bringing some of that stuff.
If your belt is new before you go you should be grand.
Your car is about to do 2,000 odd miles so if you think anything needs doing in the next 4,000 to 5,000 get it done before you go.

I don't want to be on the motorway changeing belts or brake pads so do them before you go.

Just make sure your:
1. brake fliud, pads and disks are good
2. coolant is good
3. car serviced and belts are done.
4. all other fliuds are topped up.
5 tyres are in good nick.
6. think about AA europe cover.
Ivan

Postby Steve » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 4:57 +0000

I mean bring pads + the tools to change them for after the Ring, its still almost 1000 miles home ;-)
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Ivan » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 5:04 +0000

Steve wrote:I mean bring pads + the tools to change them for after the Ring, its still almost 1000 miles home ;-)

I changed mine in may 2008 going to the ring the last time they are still on the car 20,000 miles later they will be going again. :)
Ivan

Postby Coleslawsome » Mon, 22 Feb 2010 5:29 +0000

Stig wrote:
Re; the rest of tools possibly needed if something goes wrong with any cars in the group, I suggest the we all agree to carry one or 2 specific items, and then no one is over loaded, but yet when we put all the stuff together, we have most of what we'd need to cover most eventualities.

<impossibly long list of stuff snipped>

After reading everyone's suggestions, may I recommended the following for your trip?

Coleslawsome

PreviousNext

Return to Runs and tech-days