Login    Register

FUND RAISING RUN

Planning a run or tech-day? Post the details here
  • Author
Re: FUND RAISING RUN

Postby CashelMX5 » Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:00 +0000

The reason behind the Charity Run

100 Days to go to the Biggest Sporting Event in Ireland in 2010!

The countdown to the 2010 Special Olympics Ireland Games is well and truly underway at this stage with today marking 100 days to go to the big event which will take place in Limerick from 9-13th June!

The Games will take place over four days from Thursday, June 9th to Sunday June 13th. 1,900 Special Olympics athletes from throughout the island of Ireland will travel to Limerick to compete in 13 sports. They will be accompanied by 650 coaches and official delegates as well as a contingent of over 4,000 family members.

The Games will be supported by a team of 3,500 volunteers who we have been busy recruiting over the past number of months. So far a huge number of people have attended our volunteer information sessions and registered to volunteer at the Games. However due to an unprecedented number of calls and requests in the last week we have decided to run two more information sessions for people who want to volunteer for the Games. The sessions will be the last chance for people to register to volunteer and will take place at 7om on Tuesday March 9th in Thomond Park and 7pm on Thursday March 11th in the South Court Hotel, Limerick. Further details also available on www.specialolympics.ie

Munster anad Ireland rugby hero, Paul O’ Connell, who has been leading the volunteer recruitment campaign for the Games said “It is fantastic that so many people have already signed up to play a part at the Games. To anyone who is interested in getting involved but hasn’t got round to doing so yet I would really encourage you to go along and register at one of the information sessions next week. Volunteering at the Games is something you will not want to miss!”

A Games Leadership council has also been established which is made up of some of Limerick’s best-known business leaders who have all pledged their support to the Games.

The 2010 Special Olympics Ireland Games will cost €2.5 million to stage and to date over €1.2 million worth of support has been secured from companies and other organisations to offset the cost. There are lots of different ways for organisations to show their support for the Games through donations of cash, value in kind and services.

Speaking on the 100 day milestone, Special Olympics Ireland CEO Matt English said, “The next 100 days will be extremely exciting and busy for everyone involved in the 2010 Special Olympics Ireland Games. We are well on schedule in terms of planning for the Games, from now on it will be all about action and making things happen. We will need the support of lots of different organisations and individuals to achieve all that we need to but I know that the people of Limerick will rise to the occasion as so many have done already. We are so grateful to everyone who has already come on board and would very much welcome the support of anyone else who wishes to get involved.”

This year also marks 25 years of eircom’s support for Special Olympics Ireland which is a very significant milestone for both organisations and one that will be marked during the Games in June.

The 2010 Special Olympics Ireland Games competition will take place in venues throughout Limerick. As well as being the main residential centre, the University of Limerick will host the athletics, aquatics, basketball, football, bocce, gymnastics and kayaking competitions. Across the city, the Tailteann Sports Centre, Mary Immaculate College, will host the badminton, table tennis and the non-competitive Motor Activities Training Programme. Funworld on the Ennis Road and Ennis Leisure World will host the tenpin bowling while Murroe Pitch & Putt and Limerick Golf Club will host the pitch & putt and golf competitions respectively. The equestrian competition will take place in Clonshire Equestrian Centre in Adare.

To sign up as a volunteer, please log onto www.specialolympics.ie
CashelMX5

Postby CashelMX5 » Wed, 03 Mar 2010 6:23 +0000

Hi all,

A brief update on the planning for the SOI Charity Run.

Because SOI only has permission to collect on April 23rd. we will be unable to do a bucket collection as part of our run on 24th & 25th. However, we have a couple of options for raising funds.

(a) SOI will print off personalised sponsorship cards, ie MX5 Charity run.

(b) Setting up a fundraising page on www.mycharity.ie. This method has been used successfully to raise funds for the Cannonball Run and the Mongol Run.

SOI will use it's Press Office to publicise the run and there is every chance that we can get Ian Dempsey to do a fair share to pre-event publicity and also to tie in with an OB broadcast in Limerick on 23rd. April.

I'll keep a progress report going and, hopefully, that we will get lots of support.

Tom
CashelMX5

Postby TeenaG » Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:17 +0000

Dublin's 98 Radio will also happily promote our run; as soon as we have route and details confirmed for mycharity.ie etc.

We'll need a spokesperson for interviews etc.. will that be you Tom?
Climbed Elbrus, Island Peak, Kilimanjaro, Elgon, Everest BC, Mulhacen, Elgon, Kayaked the Liffey to the Nile, swam the Liffey, the Lee & packed ten triathlons into a year... catch me blogging on: http://www.teenagates.com
TeenaG

Postby CashelMX5 » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 2:01 +0000

Thanks for the offer Teena, I'll gladly take you up on it and yes I'd be pleased to do any interviews. Hope to finalise a route and to get the mycharity site up during the week so as soon as they are sorted I'll let you know.

Much appreciated.

Tom
CashelMX5

Postby TeenaG » Sun, 07 Mar 2010 10:42 +0000

Lovely. PM on the way with contacts.
Climbed Elbrus, Island Peak, Kilimanjaro, Elgon, Everest BC, Mulhacen, Elgon, Kayaked the Liffey to the Nile, swam the Liffey, the Lee & packed ten triathlons into a year... catch me blogging on: http://www.teenagates.com
TeenaG

Postby CashelMX5 » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:24 +0000

Hi all,

Thanks to Steve, we now have a way of collecting sponsorship through www.mycharity.ie You can either go directly to the site or click on the banner link to it in the forum site. ALL MONEY RAISED GOES TO SPECIAL OLYMPICS IRELAND, so please give generously and encourage your friends to do likewise.

I expect to have final arrangement for the run posted either tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday.

Regards,
Tom
CashelMX5

Postby CashelMX5 » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 1:05 +0000

Steve,

I just had a look at the website and was wondering, can you mention the Charity Run and perhaps put the link on the front page?

Regards,
Tom
CashelMX5

Postby Steve » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 3:56 +0000

oh? Try it again there.. it was working the other night on firefox, had to adjust for Internet Explorer today.
Press ctrl-F5 to reload, then keep an eye on the top righthand corner of the page.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby CashelMX5 » Mon, 15 Mar 2010 9:20 +0000

WOW! that excellent - very clever way of getting attention.

Thanks for all your work. Now all we need is to see sponsorshipp coming in.

Tom
CashelMX5

Postby CashelMX5 » Fri, 19 Mar 2010 2:37 +0000

To the two anonymous donors on www.mycharity.ie fundraising site in aid of Special Olympics Ireland - A SINCERE THANK YOU.

To make a donation, please click on the banner above the sites sopnsor banner.

Tom
CashelMX5

Postby CashelMX5 » Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:37 +0000

Hi All,

Thinking over the plans for the Charity Run and looking at the proximity of the date to the Galway run, I came to the conclusion that it might make sense to move the SOI run to combine it with it the Galway run to consolidate numbers, especially as a number of those who have said they were up for the charity run are also down for the Galway run. There would be no obligation, for those who have committed to the Galway run, to raise funds but it would be nice if they did. If this is agreed to I can get a sponsorship card to anyone who is willing to raise funds - all I'll need is a postal address.

Thoughts please!

Tom
CashelMX5

Postby Steve » Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:43 +0000

Hi Tom,

That sounds like a plan.
You have a PM.

Regards,
Steve
Steve
Site Admin

Postby shenab » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 7:06 +0000

Tom,

that's me out then .. I and a few of the others will be either on or just back from the Ring spin.

I hope it's hugely successful for ya

Shena
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby CashelMX5 » Thu, 01 Apr 2010 11:32 +0000

Sorry to hear that Sheena.

Because of the close proximity of the date I had mentioned to the Galway run and that the route I was planing includes some of the Galway run I thought it best to consolidate the two. Thanks to Steve for agreeing to run with the idea.

The good news is that one doesn't have to be there on the day to raise a few Yo Yo's. Anyone who would like to help raise sponsorship please send me a PM with your postal address and I'll have a sponsorship card posted to you. The first of the cards were posted out today so I'm hoping that many more will agree to take one - there's no minimum sponsorship - all money raised will be greatly appreciated by Special Olympics Ireland as it will take €2.5million to organise and run this years National Games.
CashelMX5

Postby johnv » Fri, 02 Apr 2010 10:59 +0000

hi tom the orignial date for the run was out for me as ill be away but if its with the galway run ill do my best to be there john
johnv

PreviousNext

Return to Runs and tech-days