Login    Register

donegal run...atlantic drive and knockalla.

Planning a run or tech-day? Post the details here
  • Author
Re: donegal run...atlantic drive and knockalla.

Postby TOM 5252 » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:41 +0000

I did a practice run of the saturday route last sunday. Here are a few points of possible intrest.

1. The best price I have seen in this area lately for petrol was 130.9 cents/litre, but on sunday I passed a filling station (Sweeney's) showing 128.9 cents. It is on the main road from Letterkenny to Dunfanaghy, on the left about 1km. after the 60 kph area of Termon.

2. The road up to the viewing point on Horn Head was narrower than I expected, I had to pull in to passing places a couple of times and I thought if a line of 20 cars meets two or more on-comming cars the passing spaces are only big enough for the first one to pull in. The others having to reverse to the next space would mean quite a delay in getting back to Dunfanaghy and on with the rest of the run.

3. I've found this web page to be pretty good for weather forecasts for this part of the country http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2579?&search=strabane&itemsPerPage=10&region=world&area=Strabane

4. Most of you probably don't need this reminder but here goes,,,,
just because the Atlantic Drive and Knockalla are rally stages don't come expecting to drive them at rally type speeds in fact most of the atlantic drive and the Rathmullen end of Knockalla are probably the slowest bits of road you'll be on, because of the chance of meeting other traffic on tight blind bends. And besides you WILL want to take in the scenery.

Tom5252
TOM 5252

Postby barney » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 8:39 +0000

Cloggy, petrol station 200-300 mts from hotel. It will take you just about 2 and 3/4 hrs to get to Dunfanaghy from Ardee ramp on the MI at 65mph. Always smokies on this road on week-end nights, on both sides of border. Un-marked cars in NI. In reply to Tom on the Horn Head road, we can avoid the viewing area and just go round the loop. A bit of climbing involved to get up to the viewing area and as it's only 5mins from the hotel, anybody wanting to see it can go up at some other time. I may go up there on Fri evening with early arrivals. We should be passing the petrol station Tom mentioned on Sat evening.
barney

Postby shenab » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 3:38 +0000

barney wrote:When we get a few together we'll suss out a venue for a BBQ.

Sounds great Barney. The House bunch will be staggering up at different times on Friday from afternoon to evening. What about doing a BBQ on Saturday evening, not sure if that's what you had planned?

If you need anything let us know. Obviously not chairs!!

We are walking distance from the town (from what I'm told) so anywhere would be cool for the gang (such a pun)

needless to say getting mad excited now ..

S
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby barney » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 6:55 +0000

either day would be good for BBQ. having problem with gas BBQ, so i'll have a briefcase style charcoal with me. It and a couple of disposables should do the job.
barney

Postby TeenaG » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:28 +0000

I'm going to have to work.... :cry:

I'm gutted. It seems like for-ever since I last saw you guys and I was really looking forward to swapping mountains for a bit of craic and some BBQ.

So sorry.
Climbed Elbrus, Island Peak, Kilimanjaro, Elgon, Everest BC, Mulhacen, Elgon, Kayaked the Liffey to the Nile, swam the Liffey, the Lee & packed ten triathlons into a year... catch me blogging on: http://www.teenagates.com
TeenaG

Postby leamyj » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 2:13 +0000

Just got a call from the brother, His mother in law, who happens to be Mairead's bingo buddy , died unexpectedly just an hour ago...will not make it to Donegal I'm afraid.

John
leamyj

Postby barney » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 3:58 +0000

Teena and John, sorry to hear you can't make it this weekend.
barney

Postby aquarian5 » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 4:01 +0000

Sorry for your troubles John, Condolences to all.

Regards John.
1991 BRG V spec

One fella said to another.. 'I don't drink anymore'..........other fella said... 'ya but you don't drink any less either'.....
aquarian5

Postby barney » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 9:39 +0000

Lovely morning here, dry and sunny with a little wind. It rained during the night, but the sky is now blue. BBQ tomorrow night and everybody brings a bit of grub and their own prefered beverage/gargle. For anybody travelling via Monaghan-Omagh-Strabane, their is an ASDA in Strabane on your right just before you cross into Donegal. Safe journey to you all, and we'll see you later. Again my mobile no is 087 6715466
barney

Postby johnv » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 8:44 +0000

not going to make it tomorrow working later than expected ,have a great time
johnv

Postby s-mac » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 9:57 +0000

Pity i didnt see this earlier, could have tried to get the car ready in time for it, and im only up the road too
s-mac

Postby TeenaG » Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:32 +0000

8) Hope you guys are having a blast - and got a lovely sunny day, like we got in Wicklow.

John, I'm so terribly sorry at your news, and Barney, sorry to have had to pull out at the last minute - I did think of making a flying visit down today, but I'm in work in just 6 hours time, so it really wasn't realistic.

I didn't put today to waste though, I got a chance to go rock-climbing with some lads at short notice. That's another first for me - and I absolutely loved it. I've done lots of hill-walking now, but this was actually climbing with ropes on the rock-face with abseiling and everything. I thought I'd be terrified, but I really loved it.

None of you will recognise me when you see me, I've now lost nearly 10.5 stone since last Summer! and the preperations for climbing to Everest are getting more intensive every day. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of you in Slane next weekend.

In the meantime, here's a bit of what I've been up to...!!!
KneeGate.jpg
ladsRockClimb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Climbed Elbrus, Island Peak, Kilimanjaro, Elgon, Everest BC, Mulhacen, Elgon, Kayaked the Liffey to the Nile, swam the Liffey, the Lee & packed ten triathlons into a year... catch me blogging on: http://www.teenagates.com
TeenaG

Postby leamyj » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 12:26 +0000

The funeral was shifted to Sunday so Mairead and meself headed off at 8pm on Friday evening, got to Dunfanaghy at 12:30, great day out on Saturday, well done Brian and Mary, thanks to all involved and a special thanks to Shena and the guys in the house for allowing us to bunk in at short notice. John Cheatley..thanks for offering your bed to us, we'd have slept on the floor...but glad we didn't have to. Hope you all had a good night at the BBQ, Did Ann and Kay stay awake for it??
May the hangovers on Sunday be short-lived!!!

A return trip to Donegal next year is a must .

John & Mairead
leamyj

Postby aquarian5 » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 7:34 +0000

Hi Guys,

Well arrived home again after 900kms plus driving and a wonderful weekend in Donegal. Dunfanaghy was a brilliant location to stay and the scenery there and throughout our travels was spectacular indeed.

Many many thanks to Brian & Mary for co-ordinating this weekend from start to finish. Also to Shena for sourcing a wonderful holiday cottage in Dunfanaghy.

The company was fantastic and a special welcome to Alan/Sonia for taking the leap of faith to join us.....

Much talking/drinking /laughing was done by all, thank you ALL for your company, it was great fun indeed.

For those of you who couldn't make it, you missed a fab weekend.....dont miss the one next year.!!
Plenty of photos to follow no doubt... :wink: :shock:

Thanks again to all...
Regards John.
1991 BRG V spec

One fella said to another.. 'I don't drink anymore'..........other fella said... 'ya but you don't drink any less either'.....
aquarian5

Postby shenab » Sun, 22 Aug 2010 9:06 +0000

Hi Guys,

we're just home, completely and absolutely wrecked although its safe to say we thoroughly enjoyed the weekend.

Thanks hugely to Brian and Mary our fantastic hosts for showing us how truly beautiful and different Donegal is. This is a definite annual run, although the motorway to Derry cannot come quickly enough if only to get us there faster.

Great to meet up with Cloggy again and meet the lovely Olivia. Don't make it so long next time :wink:

Really chuffed to see John L and Mairead turning up. You guys are amazing, no idea where you get your energy. Looking forward to sharing in your fun next weekend.

Welcome to Alan and Sonia... am dying to see the pics, especially the ones taken this morning at 3am? Thanks a mil for making the journey west and adding a lot of fun to our merry group. I hope you have a blast at Oktoberfest and hope to see you next year if the big trip comes off if not sooner of course. Happy days in the new house.

For your company girlies, thanks, Ann(amazing curry) and Kay who just kept us all laughing, wouldn't be the same without you ladies, although I might have got more sleep :wink:

Not forgetting the boys Steve, PJ and John and of course Mini me himself, Dylan. Thanks for the smiles guys .. as usual, a great weekend with great friends.

All this an fantastic driving too .. :D

My bed is calling ..
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

PreviousNext

Return to Runs and tech-days