Login    Register

Techday this Saturday (31 march)

Planning a run or tech-day? Post the details here
  • Author
Re: Techday this Saturday (31 march)

Postby mx5ideways » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 3:16 +0000

Ok no problem, thanks fergus
1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6: cusco coilovers, carbing front and rear strut braces, 1.8 brakes, performance engine and diff mounts, stage 2 cerametalic 6 puck 1.8 clutch with lightweight JUN 1.8 flywheel, 1.8 LSD, GReddy manifold, Garrett T25 turbo, ARTech down pipe, E-Manage blue ecu, Altezza injectors, FMIC. Zoom engineering center console, carbon fibre bonnet, garage vary front lip, lightweight garage hundred one hardtop, carbing 6 pt cage.
1999 mx5 1.8 RS: XYZ drift spec Coilovers, reversed Ssr dori dori mesh wheels, wide arches, custom bonnet with s15 vent, rx8 spoiler, carbon rx7 sideskirts, full Arc induction kit, heated electric leather rx8 seats.
mx5ideways

Postby mx5ideways » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 12:46 +0000

Ok back in cork after a long day on the car, got a lot done today with the help of Rhys and Lasse, thanks a million lads for yere help today, it's coming along but still needs a lot of work before I can really test it out, starting with the ignition which wasn't starting on the key since I got it back from Jomo, this wasn't all his fault as the ignition wiring was abit of a mess from the day I got it, I had done a tempory job on it myself which had lasted fine for a year or two but there was wires everywhere since I got it back from him, Rhys sorted this and it's perfect now, starting off the key :D , I need to get a little bit of tiding done on the alarm though before that's ok. Rhys also finished fitting the electronic boost controller and boost gauge, we painted the center of my Zoom engineering center console Matt black and the outside of the 3 blacked out gauges black (they were silver on the outside) just to keep a little bit of a stealth look, fitted my garage vary front lip too. We didn't get the wideband o2 system fitted as it looks like we'll have to take off the downpipe to do it right and we couldnt even try and map it cause Jomo has my GReddy emanage blue software cd in his laptop :evil: , looks like il need a gasket for the turbo too and abit more tiding/cleaning in the engine bay but were getting there, I can't wait to finish it, it sounds lovely and even though I was keeping the revs fairly low I could hear the turbo spooling from just 2000 revs, water temp and oil pressure seamed good the whole time too
Last edited by mx5ideways on Sun, 01 Apr 2012 2:47 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6: cusco coilovers, carbing front and rear strut braces, 1.8 brakes, performance engine and diff mounts, stage 2 cerametalic 6 puck 1.8 clutch with lightweight JUN 1.8 flywheel, 1.8 LSD, GReddy manifold, Garrett T25 turbo, ARTech down pipe, E-Manage blue ecu, Altezza injectors, FMIC. Zoom engineering center console, carbon fibre bonnet, garage vary front lip, lightweight garage hundred one hardtop, carbing 6 pt cage.
1999 mx5 1.8 RS: XYZ drift spec Coilovers, reversed Ssr dori dori mesh wheels, wide arches, custom bonnet with s15 vent, rx8 spoiler, carbon rx7 sideskirts, full Arc induction kit, heated electric leather rx8 seats.
mx5ideways

Postby mx5ideways » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 12:53 +0000

mx5ideways

Postby Fergus » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 1:54 +0000

Looks nice and sorry again I couldn't make it :(
What type/size injectors are you running in the car again ?? The Greddy EMB can only handle up to 330cc.

Also, is it a 'stand alone' EBC you have there ? I'm not sure but if that's a 'plug in' EBC (looks like one) then you may need an MBC for the EMB (hoping I'm wrong though). I don't see anything on the Greddy site for the EMB controlling an EBC unless it's a 'stand alone' unit :shock:

Phone you tomorrow dude !!
Fergus

Postby mx5ideways » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 2:29 +0000

Fergus wrote:Looks nice and sorry again I couldn't make it :(
What type/size injectors are you running in the car again ?? The Greddy EMB can only handle up to 330cc.

Also, is it a 'stand alone' EBC you have there ? I'm not sure but if that's a 'plug in' EBC (looks like one) then you may need an MBC for the EMB (hoping I'm wrong though). I don't see anything on the Greddy site for the EMB controlling an EBC unless it's a 'stand alone' unit :shock:

Phone you tomorrow dude !!

The injectors are around 340cc, from a Toyota altezza, he swapped the 390cc Saab ones for them cause they were fitting better, that's what he said anyway, the EBC is the GReddy profec b boost controller, ok thanks, il talk to you then
mx5ideways

Postby Steve » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 8:40 +0000

Looks good!

Think you can change the master fuel to use larger injectors with the emb. the saab injectors need two washers under each fuel rail bolt to fit if you want to pop them in.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Steve
Site Admin

Postby rhysmate » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 9:14 +0000

Fairly sure its standalone.. there arent any outputs to tthe ecu as far as I could see and all the control are part of the unit on the dash.. there was two set points that yo could progra,m into iit.. great weekend of mx5s thanks ciaran 8)
bend the rules............rule the bends

--Turbo Mx5 Build Thread Of Epic Power--
rhysmate

Postby rhysmate » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:25 +0000

in random order

rhysmate

Postby sidewaysreilly » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:31 +0000

I think you may need to learn some soldering and heat shrinking. All them crimped connections are not so good and will leave future diagnosis tricky. Gas Irons are cheap as chips now as is self sealing heat shrink.

Otherwise, well done.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby mx5ideways » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:41 +0000

rhysmate wrote:Fairly sure its standalone.. there arent any outputs to tthe ecu as far as I could see and all the control are part of the unit on the dash.. there was two set points that yo could progra,m into iit.. great weekend of mx5s thanks ciaran 8)

Thank you Rhys, lots of work done, still a nice bit to do but were getting there, it's coming along :)
mx5ideways

Postby rhysmate » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:42 +0000

sidewaysreilly wrote:I think you may need to learn some soldering and heat shrinking. All them crimped connections are not so good and will leave future diagnosis tricky. Gas Irons are cheap as chips now as is self sealing heat shrink.

Otherwise, well done.

had to manage on what was available to get it running on the key........works perfectly and i made alot of effort to keep it tidy so we're flying

rhysmate

Postby sidewaysreilly » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:50 +0000

I know the story lad but keep it in mind for the future. Them crimps are shite if you dont have a good tool to do them . You dont want her goin up in smoke some night. Happened me years ago with an old XR2 that i put a fuel injection system on. 2 feckin crimps pulled out over a bad road and shorted. Just got the battery lead off in time. Solder everything since.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby Fergus » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 2:02 +0000

Those connections do look a bit 'off' and I don't like seeing copper wire cores showing, best just get yourself a roll of 'Amalgamating Tape' and carefully rap it around each wire/connector/joint etc. The amalgamating tape will melt/bond/seal into itself over a bit of time and ends up like a continuous rubber/plastic coating over it all.
You can get a 10M roll of it for less than 10 bucks on Fleebay :mrgreen:
Fergus

Postby Fergus » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 2:18 +0000

rhysmate wrote:Fairly sure its standalone.. there arent any outputs to tthe ecu as far as I could see and all the control are part of the unit on the dash.. there was two set points that yo could progra,m into iit.. great weekend of mx5s thanks ciaran 8)

That EMB is a stand-alone ECU ? Open it up and see if there's a Mazda ECU inside it. The Greddy EMB is not a plug-and-play ECU, it's a piggy-back to the Mazda ECU, it's not even designed for a Mazda Mx5 :shock:

The two set points are probably for MAP/Fuel, there is another one for TPS that is not used on the 1.6.

The Greddy (profec) Boost Controller can be used by the EMB, probably wired into the TPS port - all you need is to get it on the screen of the laptop and set it to whatever you want.
Fergus

Postby rhysmate » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 8:48 +0000

Lads relax its not finished yet haha.. 8) Had no heat shrink yesterday so have to go to maplins this afternoon we were just stuck to get it working on the key...i totally agree they are shit connections but i wouldnt leave wires hanging out for a permanent set up its only temporary until i get to maplins so we could get Ciaran up and running... :P

no the ecu isnt standalone its a piggyback .. you were asking whether the boost controller is standalone or is it controlled by the EMB? it seems separate from the ecu anyway.. probably best of you look at it Fergus i was just getting it fitted into the console and plumbing the line to the solenoid in-line to the actuator boost signal and all the rest..

rhysmate

PreviousNext

Return to Runs and tech-days