Login    Register

Run to The Cottage

Planning a run or tech-day? Post the details here
  • Author
Run to The Cottage

Postby StrathMX5 » Thu, 13 Feb 2020 1:07 +0000

Hi All,
My name's Eamon, first generation Australian of Irish parentage (Mum from Thurles, Dad from Waterford City), and a proud owner of 1.5 MX5s (the "good" car, a 10th Anniversary model, and half-share in a '98 NB a mate and I bought last year for hill-climbs and some track work). I'm also a member of the MX5 Club of South Australia, a great bunch of people and a very active club.
My wife and I will be in Ireland in July, and I'm wondering if there's any interest in a run to a great tearooms in the lovely village of Loughmore, Tipperary. Some of you may know of The Cottage, as it's a community-run cafe that's achieved local, national and even international prominence. It was the brainchild of my cousin, Mary Fogarty, and her friend locally, Maeve, and now provides great service to the local community. You can find it on Facebook.
I'm suggesting that interested MX5 owners and partners/friends could take a run to The Cottage on Sunday 2nd August (Monday 3rd is a Bank Holiday) - I know the Loughmore community would love to have lots of the best sports car in the world there, and would give you a warm welcome. I'd certainly love to see as many cars there as possible.
I know it's some months away yet, but I'd like to get an early idea of any interest in such a run. I'm not looking at any convoy-type run, just some MX5s descending on the village at around a certain time. Perhaps I could have suggestions as to a suitable time for people to arrive in Loughmore, given that some may have to come from afar (I know the distances in Ireland are nothing like Australia, but I've driven a lot in Ireland, and know how narrow, windy roads, plus farmers on tractors, sheep and the lure of pubs can slow a trip down!). The Cottage can cater (at cost) for small to large groups providing it has an idea of numbers.
If anyone wanted to make a weekend of it, there's accommodation in Templemore, only 5km away from Loughmore, with Thurles only 12km south. Airbnb may also show some accommodation nearby.
Enough from me. love to hear from any keen club members.
P.S. If you've been to The Cottage before, just to let you know that it has moved a few hundred metres down the road (still in the village, just before you cross the River Suir next to the old mill) to now be on the corner of the back road to Templemore.
StrathMX5

Re: Run to The Cottage

Postby Queenie » Sat, 15 Feb 2020 8:42 +0000

Hi Eamon, that run sounds great as I'm only after joining this MX5 club with my '89 M1 MX-5. It would take my husband and I a minimum an hour and 20 mins to get there according to google maps. Just the day trip would suit us more than the over night stay.
Hope it goes ahead,
Paula
:)
Queenie

Postby StrathMX5 » Sun, 16 Feb 2020 4:22 +0000

Hi Paula (aka Queenie),
The run is on! Well, seeing as you've replied to say you'd like to come, I'm declaring it officially an event! Let's hope we get a good number there on the day. I'm looking forward to meeting you and your husband, and, of course, seeing your NA.
We still have lots of time before the day, so there's plenty of time for others to decide to come. We're leaving Australia on 1st June, so I'll have limited ability to check and reply to posts as we travel, but will do occasionally.
Regards,
Eamon.
StrathMX5

Postby Steve » Tue, 18 Feb 2020 3:24 +0000

Am hoping to make this, long way out for me to fully commit yet (have yet to get the car back on the road too :-) ). Penciled it in tho.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby StrathMX5 » Wed, 19 Feb 2020 11:12 +0000

Hi Steve,
Yes, it is a long way out, but just thought I'd get in early to float the idea, to see what interest there might be. I won't expect people to make up their minds until much nearer the time. Great to hear you're thinking about coming - maybe it'll spur you on to get your car back on the road!
Regards,
Eamon.
StrathMX5

Postby MaXimu5 » Wed, 19 Feb 2020 6:33 +0000

Sounds interesting and will try to make a day trip of it from Galway in our red 1992 mk1. Weather etc permitting..
Seán agus Máire
MaXimu5

Postby Bleunos » Sun, 23 Feb 2020 1:09 +0000

I'll try to make it out too, I might be able to get a mate to come along in his 5 too

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Bleunos

Postby StrathMX5 » Mon, 24 Feb 2020 12:43 +0000

Thanks for your replies, MaXimu5 and Bleunos - I hope you can make it.
Regards,
Eamon.
StrathMX5

Postby peteh » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 3:45 +0000

Last edited by peteh on Mon, 16 Mar 2020 3:53 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
peteh

Postby peteh » Mon, 16 Mar 2020 3:46 +0000

I will try and get to this if I have my car back on the road in time, from Thurles but live in Kilkenny so not too far to travel for me
peteh

Postby StrathMX5 » Wed, 18 Mar 2020 12:41 +0000

Hi All,
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic affecting all of us across the world, my wife and I will not be travelling to Ireland this year. The Australian Government today has issued a 'Do Not Travel' notice to anywhere outside Australia for an indefinite period, and soon will be closing our borders to all, perhaps even Australian citizens currently travelling overseas. I know from speaking with my relations in Ireland how it is affecting your country, but I know also that eventually we'll get through to the other, brighter side.
Despite us not coming this year, feel free to take a run to The Cottage on the August Bank Holiday weekend, providing that the pandemic has eased by then in Ireland and life has returned to normal. Currently, The Cottage has closed due to the coronavirus, but keep an eye on its Facebook page to see when it re-opens.
At this stage, our plan is to be in Ireland at the same time in 2021 - hopefully, nothing will happen then to mess up our plans. I'll look to post details of a similar run for the August Bank Holiday 2021.
Unfortunately, my race MX5 won't be getting an outing to the first hillclimb of the season this weekend, as the Sporting Car Club of SA has postponed all events indefinitely. Still, it gives me more time to polish the alloys.....
All the best,
Eamon.
StrathMX5

Postby Steve » Fri, 20 Mar 2020 10:52 +0000

Good call Eamon, ok lets aim for 2021, I'll be sure to drop into them if I'm in the area before then ;-) Best of luck during these messy times.
Steve
Site Admin

Return to Runs and tech-days