Login    Register

MK1 Replacment Parts

Planning a run or tech-day? Post the details here
  • Author
MK1 Replacment Parts

Postby Bmath » Fri, 17 Jul 2020 3:37 +0000

Hi Everyone,
Just a very quick one after the 89 MK1 sitting for soooo may years in storage she need lots of TLC. Brake caliper's are shot stuck solid and by the looks of it need new rear suspension shocks and springs. Scary what you find when you start poking about under the skin, anyway been in touch with company in the UK MX5 heaven and they seem ok and have a massive amount of spares for the car but expensive £££. Anyone had calipers reconditioned and recommendations for replacement parts in Ireland? thanks in advance for your help.
Brian.
Bmath

Re: MK1 Replacment Parts

Postby Bleunos » Fri, 17 Jul 2020 4:31 +0000

Rob in swords will be able to help you with parts, other than that, common sites I regularly use are mx5parts.co.uk, autolink, moss Europe, bofi racing (more modified track orientated parts) and check out the Facebook groups such as mx5nutz mx5 Ireland obvs! And mx5 ire is another one, you should be able to build another one from scratch out of all those!

Another thing you could do brake wise (not to be telling you your business) is upgrade to 1.8 disks hangers and pads, the calipers are the same, I got my kit from autolink for 150 ish quid iirc.

As for rebuilding the brakes, it's not a bad job, you can get new pistons and seals from all the above websites or rob should have loads of calipers lying around!

Hope this helps

Sent from my ASUS_I001DE using Tapatalk
Bleunos

Postby Bmath » Tue, 21 Jul 2020 11:12 +0000

Hi Bleunos,

Super stuff thanks for all the great resources mentioned and yep upgrading the breaks is something I had not even thought about of even knew about until you mentioned it! sounds like it would definitely be a good idea when I'm in replacing all the bits anyway. Lots of work to be done and looking at her its looking doubtful I'll get her road ready for this year..
Must put out some feelers to see if anyone has break parts lying around. Again thanks for all the help and info very much appreciated indeed.
Brian
Bmath

Postby Steve » Thu, 13 Aug 2020 11:50 +0000

btw, I've used these guys to buy reconditioned calipers a few times, great for pads clips and bleed nipples too ;-)
https://brakeparts.co.uk/
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Pops » Fri, 21 Aug 2020 11:02 +0000

I'll second that Steve, I gao all the parts to overhaul mine from brakeparts, new pistons, bleed nipples, seals etc
Pops

Return to Runs and tech-days