Login    Register

replacing the bose setup

In car entertainment
  • Author
replacing the bose setup

Postby dabofoppo » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 9:58 +0000

i have a bose head unit , amp, and speakers in my mk2 mx5.
i've read the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2372 about bypassing the amp.

i already have a pioneer head unit that i want to use, but what i want to know is what size speakers will fit in where the bose speakers currently sit?
dabofoppo

Re: replacing the bose setup

Postby charged_rs » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:22 +0000

8"
charged_rs

Postby dabofoppo » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:30 +0000

thanks. i found a good thread on it on another forum for those interested...
http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/13435.aspx
i can't believe you can fit such a bit speaker into such a small car! :alien:

dabofoppo

Postby johnc55 » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:56 +0000

I have done the "Bosectomy" and you seem to have found info and links but any questions, just ask and I'll try to help if I can.

JohnC
johnc55

Postby dabofoppo » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:23 +0000

johnc55 wrote:I have done the "Bosectomy" and you seem to have found info and links but any questions, just ask and I'll try to help if I can.

you might regret that :wink:
first question. did you just cut the loom at the bose HU connector, and re-wire to ISO, or did you get a converter thingy?
dabofoppo

Postby dabofoppo » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:26 +0000

question 2. does the electric aerial still work after you've wired the new HU in?
dabofoppo

Postby dabofoppo » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:44 +0000

dabofoppo wrote:first question. did you just cut the loom at the bose HU connector, and re-wire to ISO, or did you get a converter thingy?

after more searching i found this:
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id/617

i'll send them a quick email to see if this also fits bose headunits...
dabofoppo

Postby johnc55 » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 1:29 +0000

What i did was to replace the Bose head unit with a cheapo Lidl headunit. This had line output as well as standard ISO output. Started with the line output (i.e.not amplified) to the Bose amp (spliced into the original connector block) and original bose speakers.

Then had to replace the speakers (Halfords again, whatever one step above basic was on offer at the time, power rating matched to the headunit. Got base units and tweeters that fit well into the doors. Crossover unit zip tied to the door. Had to cut mounting plate from mdf and used tupperware bowls cut to suit as water shields) but also bypassed the amp because the output from that is different to standard (can't remember the output numbers but the amp would either not be enough to power the speakers or else blow them or blow itself)

Used an iso connector (halfords or maplins) and spliced into the bose wiring after checking the colour codes and functions. Also had to bypass the amp (by finding the connector, disconnecting and "shorting" the block - again pinouts available in the threads. Can try to find all this info again if you need it - depends on what you want to do...

aerial, lights etc. all work as they should. just need to double check all the wiring loom colours for the various years and bose models.

I did mine because
a. the original Bose headunit radio was Japanese import and even with the converter, did not show correct frequencies
b. the original speakers were suffering the "wet speaker buzz"
c. wanted to fix it cheaply and without having to get really expensive speakers of the correct power rating that the Bose amp needs.
d wanted a bluetooth, usb and aux input radio (the lidl unit is excellent)
e given the noisy nature of the mx5 open or closed, expensive sound systems are probably not worth it IMO and probably an attraction for scumbags to try to take em.

I'm very happy with how it worked out. Let me know if you need and I can try to find specific info again for you on pinouts, loom colours etc. I have a door speaker template somewhere...

JohnC
johnc55

Postby dabofoppo » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 7:31 +0000

johnc55 wrote:Crossover unit zip tied to the door. Had to cut mounting plate from mdf and used tupperware bowls cut to suit as water shields)

are the water shields essential?
Do you have any pics of your Tupperware masterpiece?
If not, can you give a little more detail?
Eg. Does it just cover the top area from falling water drops? Or is the back of the speaker completely enclosed? How did you hold it in place?
dabofoppo

Postby johnc55 » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 8:08 +0000

Hey dabo...

No pics I'm afraid...

My speakers were 6" I think, with separate tweeters and a crossover unit to connect the speaker and tweeter. The tweeter fitted exactly in the door card space from the old one. I think they are 40w which seems low but matches the headunit output and is plenty powerful enough unless you want to go full car audio amp etc.

The main speaker needed a mount plate. Template found online and cut from 3 or 5mm mdf. I then found a plastic bowl (bit of hunting required) which matched the diameter and depth of the speaker. As I remember, the speaker sat snugly on the top rim of the bowl. Fixing was a sandwich of speaker, mount, bowl with nuts, bolts, washers. I made a cutout on the bottom of the bowl at the back i.e. not fully enclosed. This is a drip guard, not a waterproof enclosure. The original bose speaker (which is mounted backwards, i.e. coil inwards, speaker face outwards) has a drip guard which is also open at the bottom. I had read that fully enclosing might muffle the sound somewhat and not allow the door to act as a soundbox. Did not go the extra mile of soundmat lining the doors as some recommended.

Separate crossover unit (connecting the main speaker and tweeter) zip tied and adhesive to tubular crash protection bar in door.

I used the existing wiring and simply shorted out the amp connector block.

Next time I take off the door card, will take pics or if you want to have a look, pm me.

JohnC
johnc55

Postby dabofoppo » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 8:34 +0000

i'll probably just take off the door card and see what the bose ones look like before deciding about a splash guard, but if you happen to be taking yours off, a photo would be very handy :)

got a reply back from mx5parts, and it appears that that converter loom will do the job, which will be much easier than splicing. i ordered some 8" speakers last night, so it'll probably be a week or so until i get all the parts.
dabofoppo

Postby dabofoppo » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 9:22 +0000

... what just happened...?
i went on to mx5parts to order that stereo converter loom, and ended up spending €224.75
:roll: :lol:
dabofoppo

Postby johnc55 » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 9:59 +0000

Discussion here on the water / door / speaker issue:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=326247

with pic very similar to what I did in the thread here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vhcebay/Spe ... 7558708770

Now... how to stay away from mx5parts...

there must be a thread for that too?

johnc
johnc55

Postby dabofoppo » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:31 +0000

hmmmm, looks very deep. i'll wait until i get the speaker before starting the tupperware hunt...

dabofoppo

Postby johnc55 » Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:37 +0000

yes indeed. it does look deep and the bowls i got matched the speaker depth better but there is a lot of room in the door.

happy hunting!

johnc
johnc55

Next

Return to I.C.E