Login    Register

Engine swops - anyone done them here?

For discussion of forced induction issues and the rest of the Muuuhahahaha's
  • Author
    Message

Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby jpo » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 4:43 +0000

Has anyone done an engine-swop into an MX5 in Ireland?

Currently I'm looking at 2 possibilities which appeal to me due to the sound factor: 13B-REW (Sequential Twin-turbo Rotary engine from an RX7) or KL-ZE (2.5L V6 N/A from an MX6 J-Spec) and was wondering had anyone else around here done anything wierd or wonderful with their 5s?
MX5 Enthusiast
jpo
***

User avatar
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 2:22 +0000
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby ger » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:16 +0000

hi, jpo.

Apparently its easier to get a V8 in than a rotary, as for the 2.5 V6 N/A why not go for a 1.8 turbo (FM or begi Kit) or a coldside supercharger, it would keep the balance and probably give as much if not more power.

Over on the miata turbo forum there are 1.6 daily drivers at 250 hp. You've got to remember in original form the mk1 mx5 only weighs 950kg.

If it's sound you are after Flyin Miata do a conversion kit for a corvette LS1 or LS2, I have seen one at 600bhp, there are V8's in the UK probably rover V8 conversions. I'm sure you could get your hands on a short block Chevy v8 pretty cheap. My friend has a 5ltr short block in his camper, burble, burble hmmmmm.
ger
****

User avatar
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 1:55 +0000

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby Steve » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 1:52 +0000

ooh.. the V6 would be niiice! Have read its a bit of a PITA though..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQ_R5MO7Vc

ger wrote:Over on the miata turbo forum there are 1.6 daily drivers at 250 hp.


Theres a few close enough here too ;-) (add 23hp for drivetrain losses)
Image
Steve
Site Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 5514
Joined: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:16 +0000

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby jpo » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 9:24 +0000

ger wrote:hi, jpo.

Apparently its easier to get a V8 in than a rotary, as for the 2.5 V6 N/A why not go for a 1.8 turbo (FM or begi Kit) or a coldside supercharger, it would keep the balance and probably give as much if not more power.

Over on the miata turbo forum there are 1.6 daily drivers at 250 hp. You've got to remember in original form the mk1 mx5 only weighs 950kg.

If it's sound you are after Flyin Miata do a conversion kit for a corvette LS1 or LS2, I have seen one at 600bhp, there are V8's in the UK probably rover V8 conversions. I'm sure you could get your hands on a short block Chevy v8 pretty cheap. My friend has a 5ltr short block in his camper, burble, burble hmmmmm.

I wouldn't be bothered with a V8 in an MX5 as I'd want to keep the weight down & weight distribution as close to right as I could so that the handling isn't affected (much).

It is indeed the sound as opposed to power I'm after & after listening to V6s & rotaries with the "twin-pigeon" sound I've been after either or both for a while now. That was my original plan for the 200SX body but that never happened: I forged the straight-4 instead and got bored of everything except the turbo surge & wastegate chatter sounds.

And finally, I've told myself that if I was ever going to the trouble of fitting a V8 into a car I'd do it properly & make it a V12! 8) Why compromise?? :mrgreen:

srigley wrote:ooh.. the V6 would be niiice! Have read its a bit of a PITA though..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQ_R5MO7Vc

Yeah that's where the inspiration came from. :-) This one's better though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLnrOeu0KE

Yum...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeZWxZqcVug&NR=1

And for curiosity's sake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ZIIVsUV3U&NR=1
MX5 Enthusiast
jpo
***

User avatar
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 2:22 +0000
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby Geese » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 11:49 +0000

I love rotary engines but they require so much attention. And as said the 13b requires a LOT of firewall massaging to fit.

I've see them put a RB20/25DET into one. The skyline GT engine is a huge six-pot. If that fits then a wee SR20DET should fit with no bother and we all know they can be tuned for high output easily :wink:
Stainless Steel Fabrication extreme
Image
Geese
***
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:16 +0000
Location: South Dublin/ North Wicklow

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby ger » Sat, 04 Jul 2009 9:40 +0000

Theres a few close enough here too (add 23hp for drivetrain losses)


Wow steve, didn't think you were making that much power, i knew frank was getting around 240 from his 1.8.
ger
****

User avatar
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 1:55 +0000

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby jpo » Tue, 07 Jul 2009 7:46 +0000

Geese wrote:If that fits then a wee SR20DET should fit with no bother and we all know they can be tuned for high output easily :wink:

Especially with my background yes, but again, the sound is a factor with my next project. ;)
MX5 Enthusiast
jpo
***

User avatar
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 2:22 +0000
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby Geese » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 9:22 +0000

jpo wrote:Especially with my background yes, but again, the sound is a factor with my next project. ;)


Sound? Get a Some Subs and caps then! :P
Come on SR20 with a bonnet exit Ext Wastegate + bang bang antilag oh yeah!
Stainless Steel Fabrication extreme
Image
Geese
***
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:16 +0000
Location: South Dublin/ North Wicklow

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby jpo » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 5:35 +0000

Geese wrote:Sound? Get a Some Subs and caps then! :P
Come on SR20 with a bonnet exit Ext Wastegate + bang bang antilag oh yeah!

Not that kind of sound... :roll:

And this would be a road-going car fella. ;)

So has no-one over here done any engine-swops into MX5s?
MX5 Enthusiast
jpo
***

User avatar
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 2:22 +0000
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby Steve » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 1:42 +0000

ger wrote:
Theres a few close enough here too (add 23hp for drivetrain losses)


Wow steve, didn't think you were making that much power, i knew frank was getting around 240 from his 1.8.


I reckon he's putting out a bit more than that .. you should ask him for a demo! :shock:
Steve
Site Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 5514
Joined: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:16 +0000

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby ger » Fri, 17 Jul 2009 5:18 +0000

I reckon he's putting out a bit more than that .. you should ask him for a demo!


Sure, get a temporary face lift. In one of the clarkson vids there is a TVR at 300bhp per tonne and it wiped the floor with the rest of the super car competition in a 1/4 mile drag. Hard to imagine what a 5 is like at 250 or so.

I think BHP is a dirty term over on the miata turbo forum, they forum member i was thinking of is making 247 whp from a 1.6.

On a different note i found the PPC mag with a write up on a diy supercharged 5 using an eaton from a Cooper S sourced from the mini parts bin. It would seem when you want to upgrade to a works they just throw out the old SC.

If anyone is feeling brave i can scan it.

JPO there is a letter in the same issue about a custom adaptor to mate the duratec V6 to an mx5 gearbox, I will have a look later see if there is any contact email.

ger
ger
****

User avatar
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 1:55 +0000

Re: Engine swops - anyone done them here?

Postby jpo » Sun, 19 Jul 2009 2:13 +0000

ger wrote:If anyone is feeling brave i can scan it.

JPO there is a letter in the same issue about a custom adaptor to mate the duratec V6 to an mx5 gearbox, I will have a look later see if there is any contact email.

ger

Would you scan it in please? It'd be interesting to see. :)

Ford Duratec? Yeah sure if it's no bother? :thumleft:
MX5 Enthusiast
jpo
***

User avatar
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 2:22 +0000
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Return to Turbo Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests