Login    Register

Coolant Re-Route Kits - Begi or M-Tuned ?

For discussion of forced induction issues and the rest of the Muuuhahahaha's
  • Author
Coolant Re-Route Kits - Begi or M-Tuned ?

Postby Fergus » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 5:07 +0000

So I'm thinking of getting a coolant re-route kit and I'm trying to decide on either the Begi one or the M-Tuned one.

I like the design of the Begi kit more than the M-Tuned one due to the placement of the termo and it also has less clips/joins, but from what I've heard the Begi one is sometimes sent out with the wrong bolts/instructions etc so 'quality' could be an issue.

The Begi re-route is not EGR compatible.... what's an 'EGR' ?

And
"An optional add on is the heater core return to the upper radiator hose. This would include a splice for the new upper radiator hose, thus eliminating coolant running from the heater core to the mixing manifold. It will affect the car's time to reach operating temperature".

If I get the Begi kit, should I get the heater core return or leave it stock ?

Anyone got any input on this ??
Fergus

Re: Coolant Re-Route Kits - Begi or M-Tuned ?

Postby Steve » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 6:25 +0000

Begi looks better to me, makes more sense, instructions are on the miataturbo forum I think. Yeah, I'd prob go with the heater core splice thing too, this avoids hot water running back through the heads again yeah?

Alternatively.. you could make your own if you could find a 98 Kia Sportage in a dismantlers with the correct engine.. all you'd need is its thermostat cover, some pipe and a spacer with a hole in it for the temp sensor.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Fergus » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 6:52 +0000

Yeah, the Begi one seems best and I like the way the tubing runs on the left side and not the exhaust side.

I think for simplicity I'll just get the kit as I don't want to be sourcing parts etc (I'm to bloody lazy now and have a shed load to do already engine wise).

The rad hose that feeds into the engine, down the right side near the water pump, it's a 1.8 thermo cover that fits on there isn't it ? So that the hose direction can be changed to face forwards. I'll have to get one of those to.
Fergus

Postby mark » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 9:03 +0000

hi fergus , when it mentions " egr " is it talking about the " erg valve " ?

The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases

cheers

mark
mark

Postby Fergus » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 9:14 +0000

mark wrote:hi fergus , when it mentions " egr " is it talking about the " erg valve " ?

The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases

cheers
mark

I don't think so, it says 'EGR'....take a look - http://www.bellengineering.net/product_ ... cts_id=300{34}94
Fergus

Postby Steve » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 10:33 +0000

None on the early 1.6 cars (well.. none I've seen..) I think. Think its 1.8lt cars.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Fergus » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:16 +0000

Is it to do with that copper pipe that runs across the back of the engine which is level to where the 'new' thermo would be placed ?
It's not there on the 1.6

In the M-Tuned kit installation instructions they use a block of 2"x4" and a hammer to knock it downwards a bit... that doesn't seem to be a very technical fix to me and hell, I've done a lot of MacGyver stuff already :mrgreen:
Fergus

Postby mark » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:30 +0000

hi fergus , i think it is referring to the egr valve , i checked with a friend and he agrees its all about boosting the cold air

cheers

mark
mark

Postby Fergus » Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:46 +0000

Ok cool, I still don't know what it is but I suppose it's ok since I've a 1.6, less for me to worry about :lol:
Fergus

Postby mark » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:14 +0000

yep me too , he questioned if you had a 1.8t as the 1.6 is non turbo

apparently the colder the air coming in to the turbo the bigger the boost , hence the over sized intercoolers available also.
the only reason i'd heard of ERG valve is , i have a landrover defender 200tdi for playing in the forests , and a lot of lads blank the ERG valve to get more power

cheers

mark
mark

Postby Fergus » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 3:00 +0000

mark wrote:yep me too , he questioned if you had a 1.8t as the 1.6 is non turbo

apparently the colder the air coming in to the turbo the bigger the boost , hence the over sized intercoolers available also.
the only reason i'd heard of ERG valve is , i have a landrover defender 200tdi for playing in the forests , and a lot of lads blank the ERG valve to get more power

cheers

mark

Errr.... right, I'm getting more and more lost down this 'ERG Rabbit Hole' as this thread proceeds :lol:

I think there was only 1 Mx5 Turbo made by Mazda and it was a 'BBR 1.6 Mx5 Turbo' (but I may/could stand corrected) ?.

I have never heard of a 1.8 Turbo Mx5 made by Mazda even if it was 'an import' from Japan.

Here is the M-Tuned kit: http://www.949racing.com/index.asp?Page ... ProdID=106

And here is the M-Tuned installation instructions which show that 'copper tube and 2"x4" mod": http://www.949racing.com/mtuned/M-Tuned ... e_Inst.pdf

(edit) BTW ALL Mazda Mx5/Eunos Roadster/Miata 1.6 engines are de-turbo'd engines :D
Fergus

Postby Steve » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 8:43 +0000

srigley wrote:None on the early 1.6 cars (well.. none I've seen..) I think. Think its 1.8lt cars.

lt = as in litre not turbo
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Fergus » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 4:58 +0000

I sent Begi an email requesting the shipping cost last night and haven't heard back from them yet.
I was reading up about their kit on Miata Turbo and it appears they sometimes ship it with the wrong sized bolts or missing parts.

I've also decided to remove the front thermo housing completely so I'll have to go get a bung or something to block it off.

(edit) Downpipes, are the OBX ones any good ?
Fergus

Postby Fergus » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 8:29 +0000

Didn't get a reply and couldn't be arsed waiting around so I phoned them.

I've just ordered these two parts :thumright:
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_ ... cts_id=300{34}94
http://www.bellengineering.net/product_ ... cts_id=322{6}9
Fergus

Postby Steve » Mon, 24 Aug 2009 8:44 +0000

mark wrote:the only reason i'd heard of ERG valve is , i have a landrover defender 200tdi for playing in the forests , and a lot of lads blank the ERG valve to get more power

I've seen that blanking kit, is your engine a VM diesel 2.4/2.5?
I've disconnected the vacuum line on the EGR in our Jeep (VM Diesel) so the EGR stays closed. Haven't blanked it off yet thought.. it has definately made the power delivery more linear with less boost "rush" + no more smoke screen when accelerating.
Steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Turbo Talk