Login    Register

It's finally back :)

For discussion of forced induction issues and the rest of the Muuuhahahaha's
  • Author
It's finally back :)

Postby mx5ideways » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:35 +0000

Picked up my turbo mk1 from trackday performance last thurs and I've finally got a taste of how much fun a turbo'd mx5 is, delighted with it, it's a lot less bhp than I thought it would be, it cost me a lot more than I had hoped and it still needs tidying and abit of work to finish it but fu :shock: k me can it move, I know it's probably not a patch on some of the turbo cars here but I'm really happy with how it's turned out, il try get a video up in the next few days showing the acceleration (within the speed limits of course :wink: ) . Heres some of the dyno sheets, it made 165 bhp at the wheels (189 at the flywheel) and 183 Ibft torque
1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6: cusco coilovers, carbing front and rear strut braces, 1.8 brakes, performance engine and diff mounts, stage 2 cerametalic 6 puck 1.8 clutch with lightweight JUN 1.8 flywheel, 1.8 LSD, GReddy manifold, Garrett T25 turbo, ARTech down pipe, E-Manage blue ecu, Altezza injectors, FMIC. Zoom engineering center console, carbon fibre bonnet, garage vary front lip, lightweight garage hundred one hardtop, carbing 6 pt cage.
1999 mx5 1.8 RS: XYZ drift spec Coilovers, reversed Ssr dori dori mesh wheels, wide arches, custom bonnet with s15 vent, rx8 spoiler, carbon rx7 sideskirts, full Arc induction kit, heated electric leather rx8 seats.
mx5ideways

Re: It's finally back :)

Postby mx5ideways » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:41 +0000

I know pictures aren't great but hopefully you can make them out, was told that my exhaust was very restrictive plus I won't get much more bhp with the GReddy emanage but if I change both of them the down line il surely get closer to the 200bhp mark, delighted with the power for now though
1990 Eunos Roadster 1.6: cusco coilovers, carbing front and rear strut braces, 1.8 brakes, performance engine and diff mounts, stage 2 cerametalic 6 puck 1.8 clutch with lightweight JUN 1.8 flywheel, 1.8 LSD, GReddy manifold, Garrett T25 turbo, ARTech down pipe, E-Manage blue ecu, Altezza injectors, FMIC. Zoom engineering center console, carbon fibre bonnet, garage vary front lip, lightweight garage hundred one hardtop, carbing 6 pt cage.
1999 mx5 1.8 RS: XYZ drift spec Coilovers, reversed Ssr dori dori mesh wheels, wide arches, custom bonnet with s15 vent, rx8 spoiler, carbon rx7 sideskirts, full Arc induction kit, heated electric leather rx8 seats.
mx5ideways

Postby Steve » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 10:27 +0000

excellent! Can't wait to see it!
So you are using the emanage, anything else?
Steve
Site Admin

Postby back_in_black » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 11:15 +0000

Great that you have the car back. I'll dig out some of the bits you need to finish the tidy up. Think I have everything except the headlight converters. It'll give you excuse to take a spin over the mountain! I'll text you my number.
back_in_black

Postby mx5ideways » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 11:38 +0000

Thanks lads, it's just the emanage on its own steve, theirs different injectors used then your old ones (not sure the size though), the ARTech downpipe and intercooler
mx5ideways

Postby sidewaysreilly » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:42 +0000

Class. Did they say why there is a droop at 4000rpm? Just wondering ...........
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby mx5ideways » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 4:42 +0000

sidewaysreilly wrote:Class. Did they say why there is a droop at 4000rpm? Just wondering ...........

No he diddnt, it was after the garage was closed when I was collecting it so didn't want to hold them up too long, it's not that noticeable driving it though, he just said the exhaust is very restrictive (3" downpipe going to a small 2 and half inch section and then a full 2" exhaust with lots of bends), I might try and get a nice free flowing 2 and a half inch exhaust when I can afford it or see if my brother can make up a 3" one, I think 2 and a half inch will be plenty though cause I'm really happy with how it's driving now, don't think il need much more power, he said a new exhaust could probably get me an extra 20 or 30 bhp, he said get a better ecu down the line too and it would help a lot
mx5ideways

Postby andrew » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 10:49 +0000

Well done, that was a long time in the making. Thats a big dip you have at 3.5 to 4.5k. I'm surprised you can't feel it. I wouldn't bother changing the exhaust and ECU to get from 189 to 200 ish bhp. You got a good torque figure which is main advantage of a turbo. Hope to see it on track soon.
andrew

Postby Fergus » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 2:35 +0000

I think that dyno is way 'off', it's more like 180ish BHP down at the wheels.

Here it is
Fergus

Postby leamyj » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 4:44 +0000

Cool! like the dash..which gauge shows the flux capacitor recoil impedance then??? :mrgreen:

John
leamyj

Postby Steve » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:05 +0000

heheh that revs needle is flying round at 4:24.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby mx5ideways » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:28 +0000

andrew wrote:Well done, that was a long time in the making. Thats a big dip you have at 3.5 to 4.5k. I'm surprised you can't feel it. I wouldn't bother changing the exhaust and ECU to get from 189 to 200 ish bhp. You got a good torque figure which is main advantage of a turbo. Hope to see it on track soon.

Thanks Andrew, ya tell me about it! It's my heart broke between the money its costing me and the time it's taken and it's still not right, its not starting a lot of the time :( like its the battery or fuel pump or something, it will start the odd time so the batteries probably ok, was told by trackday performance it might be a sticking fuel pump relay, fergus has been helping me a lot over the last few days trying to find the problem so hopefully we'll be able to find it (thanks ferg). It's been wrecking my head the last few days having to push start it half the time, left it at home today (walked to work), came home at 6, push started it, left it heat up and just as I was driving out of the estate as I gave it some accelerator it sounded like something came loose, lost all power, couldn't start it again, had to tow it back to the house :evil: .I was so glad to finally get it back after a year and a half and was so delighted with the power and how it was driving but fucking hell is it wrecking my head now.
mx5ideways

Postby Fergus » Sat, 06 Oct 2012 1:52 +0000

I'll be over this evening to take a look, it may be best not to drive it at all until it's sorted out.
Fergus

Postby Fergus » Sat, 06 Oct 2012 7:21 +0000

Ok just a few things we found today...

Cam cover is leaking a lot of oil onto the exhaust manifold, it must be taken off and Silicon needs to be placed in those 6 places.
Coolant system needs to be flushed and refilled with a mix of Anti-Freeze/Water.
Coolant pipe feeding the Turbo is leaking/cracked and needs to be replaced.
Oil return pipe needs to be replaced with a steel braided line.
Oil pan should be tapped in the correct location.

That connector I found near the CAS at the rear left of the engine is for the O2 Sensor - looks like your running with just the Wideband (which is placed in the wrong location and does effect getting a good tune). The other part of the connector should be over to the left near the rear of the manifold. Can the Emanage run with only the Wideband ?

Headlights - center console manual up/down button should be checked, steering wheel stalks wiring should be checked, relay should be checked. All in that order.

Fuel pump not priming at 'key on' - wiring pins of the ECU/Emanage will have to be checked, if ok then relay should be checked. Fuel pump IS working using the test harness.

Cold Start issue - first fix the oil leak and all the above, no point having it running if it's going to be going up in flames again :wink:

(edit) I'd think about bringing it back to whoever did the 'job' on it, but since they've messed it up so much maybe it's better not to let them near it again.
Fergus

Postby mx5ideways » Sat, 06 Oct 2012 9:36 +0000

Thanks a million fergus, ya need to get all them bits sorted now as soon as possible, only thing is I'm so broke after it, hardly have a cent to my name, I don't suppose anyone would be up for helping me get the few bits sorted on it? could make a kind of a tech day out of it (some turbo heads or anyone wanting to go turbo might be interested) il try and get what I need over the next week or two and hopefully sort it, I've no car on the road at the moment but I can walk to work from where I am (it's not ideal but it's safer then wrecking the car after all the money I've put into it). I don't want to give it to any more garages, sick of dealing with them, we'll try and get it sorted ourselves hopefully anyway.
mx5ideways

Next

Return to Turbo Talk