Login    Register

Typical cost of going turbo?

For discussion of forced induction issues and the rest of the Muuuhahahaha's
  • Author

Postby Randy » Tue, 07 May 2013 12:04 +0000

Hey folks. I just signed up, as I'm considering looking at getting an mx5 miata and turning it turbocharged (This is, of course, if I can't find one already with a turbo).
I had a look through some of the older posts on this forum, but they seem to be dated with lots of dead links, so I thought I would start a new one.
Basically, I'm looking to find out, all in, how much a decent turbo set up will cost me (Aiming to break the 200bhp mark).

My initial plan is to hopefully pick up a healthy 99/00 1.8, as I heard these are the more reliable engines (please correct me on this if I'm wrong).
After getting a decent enough engine to work with, where would be the best place to source everything for a good turbo set up?

I don't want to put a budget on it yet, because I'm not sure exactly how much I'd be willing to spend (probably enough, considering my current car)..

Any help/links/tips on going forward is appreciated.

Also, this is an easy conversion to do yourself, or would I be best leaving it to a mechanic I trust after purchasing everything?
Randy

Re: Typical cost of going turbo?

Postby rhysmate » Tue, 07 May 2013 4:49 +0000

i would read as much as you can from www.miataturbo.net.

It isn't exactly a cheap conversion. anywhere from 2 grand upwards! Where are you based?
bend the rules............rule the bends

--Turbo Mx5 Build Thread Of Epic Power--
rhysmate

Postby Randy » Tue, 07 May 2013 6:46 +0000

rhysmate wrote:i would read as much as you can from http://www.miataturbo.net.

It isn't exactly a cheap conversion. anywhere from 2 grand upwards! Where are you based?

Cheers for the reply.
I'm based in letterkenny in Donegal. I realise it wouldn't be cheap, but it would be a lot of fun, and i'd have a sweet car when I'm done. Must get the head into the research though. Cheers for the link. :-)
Randy

Postby rhysmate » Tue, 07 May 2013 7:17 +0000

Ya i spent a huge amount to get mine to where it is and its not finished haha.. give me a shout if you.need advice

rhysmate

Postby Randy » Tue, 07 May 2013 10:22 +0000

rhysmate wrote:Ya i spent a huge amount to get mine to where it is and its not finished haha.. give me a shout if you.need advice

Likely if I get my head in gear I'll be spending a similar amount, but it will be a few months first. All planning for now.
And yeah, I'll give you a shout. Looking through the build thread now and it looks good. :)
Randy

Postby sidewaysreilly » Wed, 08 May 2013 8:58 +0000

study study study, if you can diy certain stuff it will save a lot of money and makes it more fun. Lots of the old turbo kits are dated and based on lazy yank conversions...ie loads of low end boost......no top end .
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby rhysmate » Thu, 09 May 2013 12:01 +0000

sidewaysreilly wrote:study study study, if you can diy certain stuff it will save a lot of money and makes it more fun. Lots of the old turbo kits are dated and based on lazy yank conversions...ie loads of low end boost......no top end .

Low end isnt necessarily a bad thing. I get full boost fairly low at around 4000 revs and it pull very hard all the way to redline. Im getting a power run done soon hopefully so i can post a sheet.

My own build was fully custom. If you can do a good tig or mig weld that would save you alot. Spend the money on engine management though. Youll make all your power from a good exhaust and ecu. The rest isnt majorly difficult considering you already have the 1.8 base

rhysmate

Postby Randy » Thu, 09 May 2013 12:16 +0000

rhysmate wrote:
sidewaysreilly wrote:study study study, if you can diy certain stuff it will save a lot of money and makes it more fun. Lots of the old turbo kits are dated and based on lazy yank conversions...ie loads of low end boost......no top end .

Low end isnt necessarily a bad thing. I get full boost fairly low at around 4000 revs and it pull very hard all the way to redline. Im getting a power run done soon hopefully so i can post a sheet.

My own build was fully custom. If you can do a good tig or mig weld that would save you alot. Spend the money on engine management though. Youll make all your power from a good exhaust and ecu. The rest isnt majorly difficult considering you already have the 1.8 base

With that in mind a 1.8 is the way to go then? Think I'd go with a mk1 as well.
Randy

Postby franksm » Thu, 09 May 2013 6:51 +0000

The manifolds never crack on the yank kits :-)
The turbos last much longer on the yank units than the chinese variety
And the intercoolers & piping on the yank kits don't disintegrate after 4 years like the Australian kits

You get what you pay for. The yank kits fit first time, work very well, make the most safe power and are utterly reliable. Mine came apart after 14 years of use just like it had been put on yesterday.

The boost profile is always going to be a compromise.
Want a very driveable, torquey motor ? Choose a small turbo with ball bearings. Peak power at 2800rpm, sacrifices power after 6200rpm
Want a very fast motor with ultimate power ? Choose a big turbo with ball bearings. Peak power at 4500rpm, but it feels like a dog before that.
Want a compromise between the two for less money ? Choose a sleeve-bearing turbo.

No matter what turbo system you go for - BEGI, AVO, FM, DIY - you still have the option of choosing the actual turbo profile.

I would still recommend the small ballbearing turbo - feels like a straight-six 3.0 litre engine with absolutely zero lag.

Whether to go for a 1.8 or a 1.6 ? Engine-wise it doesn't matter, they are both 'built' ready for turbo (eg. oil-cooled pistons). The main difference will be that the 1.8 has better brakes, stronger driff, etc etc.
It's a small world after all. It's a small, small world
franksm

Postby rhysmate » Fri, 10 May 2013 8:26 +0000

The 1.8 can also apparently take a little more power before the rods bend and also spool a bigger turbo easier. That just from my research though. I love my 1.6 and it has plenty of power. But as frank said youll be way ahead buying 1.8 because kf the diff and brakes. Itll save money down the line.

rhysmate

Postby Randy » Fri, 10 May 2013 8:58 +0000

Cheers folks. Yeah, a mk1 1.8 seems like a good starting point. :) Now to start saving..
Randy

Return to Turbo Talk