Login    Register

Dash Lights

From chrome to uber-bling l.e.d.'s
  • Author
Dash Lights

Postby shenab » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 9:57 +0000

Hello there

For a while I've half noticed that the middle of my dash (as in where the odometer etc is) was a bit dark. I think its been this way since I got it and didn't really pay any heed until the left hand side went completely black today. Now, I'm not the quickest kid off the block, and the penny finally sunk that there are probably bulbs behind the display that I need to change.

Question 1:

How hard is it to get to them? I have had the dash partially off before, I think I was trying out trims, and it wasn't that hard but I didn't remove the facia of the odo etc. I'm sure 'll need to do this now

Question 2:

Mk2.5 any ideas what bulubs I need?

thanking you muchly

Shena
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Re: Dash Lights

Postby leamyj » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 12:36 +0000

No need to remove facia or dials..just remove speedo cable and 2 ( I think) electrical connectors from the rear of the cluster, you'll see the various bulb holders which you simply twist to remove....you wanna drop over on Sunday, i could take it out, or I'm free until 1 on Saturday..also off all day Friday :)
leamyj

Postby shenab » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 9:26 +0000

Hi John, thanks for the offer but I'm away on Business from Sunday and prepping Saturday but once I get hold of the bulbs I might give you a shout if I get stuck?

I presume Mx5parts will have replacements?

S
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby rhysmate » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 9:51 +0000

that happens to me and i just tap the glass until the lights come on again :D
bend the rules............rule the bends

--Turbo Mx5 Build Thread Of Epic Power--
rhysmate

Postby shenab » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:03 +0000

short of using a hammer .. the tap on glass approach has been tried :)
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby leamyj » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 7:58 +0000

sorry for delay in reply..house moving..no need to go via mx5 parts..any part shop should have them..I think I have my old cluster around somewhere..does anyone know if the mk1 and mk2 dash light bulbs are compatible with each other??
leamyj

Dash Lights

Postby shenab » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 3:07 +0000

Sorry should have asked the basics John. These cables are under the hood?
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby MX5Spares » Fri, 28 Dec 2012 3:45 +0000

What you need to do is pop off the top plastic cowl behind steering wheel,no screws involved just be careful,and pull on the dome shaped cover over the instrument clocks,it just snaps in and out.Then you will see 4 screwd holging in the instrument cluster itself.Remove these and disconnect 3 electrical plugs on back by pressing in the center of the clip part and slide out.NO speedo cable on urs as its electronic.You will see the large type bulb holders in the back and bulbs themselves are covered with a green sleeve which just slides off and obviously back on to new bulbs.Full set bulbs in motor factors are only about 5e.!!! If you leave connectors in you can see which bulbs are blown but replace them all otherwise dash will light up differently ie bright/dark.Any problem just call me 086 8226506.Robert
MX5Spares

Postby shenab » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 6:41 +0000

would you believe (and please don't laugh at me) I have just got the bulbs today :))

Thanks Robert, I'm going to print this out and as the sun is shining, do this now .. if anything snaps I'll be looking for replacements tomorrow.

fingers crossed.
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby Randy » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 6:57 +0000

I've had my cluster out a few times. The easiest method would be to take off the plastic sorround. As mentioned, it's only clips holding it in. It will sound like you're breaking them when you're pulling it off, but you won't.
The cluster is held on then by 4 screws. And then just unplug the cables and it lifts out. You may also need to remove the plastic around the steering wheel to get at it, but it's really only a 5 min job getting it out, max.
Someone mentioned there that you can do it by not removing it. I've done that too, and it's a bit more awkward to get at the bulbs, but I was actually replacing all of them, so it was easier to just take the whole thing out.
Randy

Postby shenab » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 8:17 +0000

5 min job indeed! All done and looking great, who knew my dash could look so cool:) I didn't need to disconnect the cables either, just held it carefully in place.

I have a question though .. there are 2 different bulb types 4 larger ones and lots more smaller ones; what are the smaller ones for?

Shena
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby MX5Spares » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 8:38 +0000

Smaller ones are for the battery light,airbag light,oil light,eng manag light etc .Probably about 8 in total.
MX5Spares

Postby shenab » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 9:36 +0000

Thanks Robert. They all seem to be working so. That's great.

Only took me 2 years :) what am I like?
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Return to Interiors stuff