Login    Register

Leak, between roof/front/side windows.

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
Leak, between roof/front/side windows.

Postby shadowhearth » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 4:52 +0000

Got mine mx5 only recently, there was big rain yesterday, but there were no leak, even today when i sat first time in to car had no leak. Then when i sat in to car to drive home i felt kind of wet... :roll:

Water is coming from top, where roof, front window and side window meets.

theres no water when i drive, there were no water even after i stoped and was sitting in the car for 10 mins. But then it started again...

theres a small gap there, so is it possible to get doors seal up better?

I had same troulbe with mine clk200, so we just made doors to close more tight and it helped...

Any solutions here? :(
shadowhearth

Re: Leak, between roof/front/side windows.

Postby shadowhearth » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 5:27 +0000

okay, just wnet to the car and checked again, was really really heavy rain. and bout seats are a bit wet now...

Its worse then i thought. I finded that water is gevering up in the rubber on the roof, where it meets with side window.

the water in there gets in from where i said before...

Any suggestions lads? I am pret much in stress now ... :cyclops:
shadowhearth

Postby Pete JB » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 6:05 +0000

If you can post some photos of where the leak is coming in it could be helpful. Also, how old is the car & what condition is it in?
Pete JB

Postby shadowhearth » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 6:17 +0000

Well its still heavy rain here... ill do photos soon.

theres a gap between window and roof. And i guess it does not seals tight all formation...

Found a few solutions:

tighten latches ( thats the things that fixes the roof with front window? sorry mine english is not that good, and some part names just confuse me... :( )

then i found that you can take rubber off which is on the roof, top of glass, and you can adjust it.

Problem is i just found basic solutions, but i need some more detailed explanation...

Hopefully i wount need to replace all roof...

would be grand if i could drop in in to some members place in Cork, so he could give me a hand with it.

thought i dont know if i am even going right direction with this...
shadowhearth

Postby shadowhearth » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 6:42 +0000

okay, here it is.

sorted window, it was not pushed till the end... cant even unterstand how it happened :oops: . Thought all the water is not coming from there...

water is getting stuck in the top seal, and when theres heavy rain and bigger water flow, it starts driping on car seats.

sorry for bad quality, its still raining here...
shadowhearth

Postby Pete JB » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 6:43 +0000

There are a few things you can try, tighten the roof catches (already done) The seals can all be removed from around the windows & adjusted.

If you look closely at the shiny metal strips that the rubbers sits in to these have some screwn in them, if you loosen the screws the whole metal strip can move about 0.5cm, this can also help.

You can also open up the doors & adjust the stoppers on the windows, when you roll the windows up if they go too low they will let in water, if you go too high they squash the rubber seals & let in water!

I would suggest trying one thing at a time (if you do too many things you don't know if it's better or worse.)

I have tried almost everything to stop a leak in my roof & have found that it can be caused by lots of little adjustments without any need to replace the roof or seals. Also don't worry about it too much, it's only water & a good friend of mine has a brand new £40000 volvo & the roof on that leaks!

Good luck with it & don't worry about the English skills, it's a lot better than my language skills :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pete JB

Postby shadowhearth » Sat, 11 Jul 2009 6:57 +0000

Have you seen pictures m8?

I think not the problem in gap between actuall window and rubber, but in rubber and roof... if that makes sence...

i was checking that crome tube but i cant see any screws on it :? . And will that even help...

Like you see in one of pictures i pushed rubber off and all water just got out!
shadowhearth

Postby Pete JB » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 4:51 +0000

I had exactly the same problem on mine, I solved it by minor adjustment of all the seals & windows, but it did take a long time to sort out. Post a picture from the outside of the car where the side window meets the roof.
Pete JB

Postby shadowhearth » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 6:31 +0000

there was a small gap, i got roof tightened, so it fits alot better now.

And i putted small bit of silicone on that rubber. Had spilling 10 litters of water, and nothing came in! :D

thought one thing, those soft top roofs on partsmx5.co.uk ( or how its called), they come with all the skelet and frame, or that price only for that material?
shadowhearth

Postby robmx5 » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 7:04 +0000

Shadow,

Don't panic too soom - a new roof is a big investment and you only get the material - you then have to fit it - or have someone do it for you.

As PB says - one step at a time - make small adjustments at a time - also as your car has been sitting up for a while its possible that some of the rubber seals have perished and might need replacing.

Robin
robmx5

Postby shadowhearth » Sun, 12 Jul 2009 8:24 +0000

Well to be honset i got it sorted. for now. It was leaking when that minisotrm was here yesterday, we did not had such rain for ages now. When there was small rain the drain rubber on widescreen is doing fine thought.

So tightened roof, and gap became smaller. And we putted some black silicone, you cant even see it.

So so far.. sorted! thx for support :wink:

now i just need to sort out receiver
. XIXI
shadowhearth

Postby voomvoom » Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:22 +0000

hi. If the roof has seen better days and has small cracks at the folding regions then you will get water leaking in and actually filling up the rubber seals. It then drips from them onto the seats & when you drive the car it flows out as you accelerate or brake. You have temporarly stopped it by putting sealer over the cracks. I did same with mine....even pached with strips of rubber and tiger seal. After 2 years of this I did the decent thing and fitted a new roof. Problem sorted for €160 and a couple of evenings cursing & swearing. If you put off the inevitable too long you may have rust dammage on the frame.
voomvoom

Postby shadowhearth » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 11:53 +0000

Yup, today we got really nasty rain, and i checked the car, and its dripping from seals now, and quite alot...

160eu for new roof? Where did you got it? Thought i wount be able to put it on myself.... I am living in apartments, so no way ill be able to leave it for few days :(
shadowhearth

Postby fabfiveferg » Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:06 +0000

If it's dripping from the seals are you sure it's the roof. When we get very wet weather like this I get drips from the door seals as well. It's nothing to do with the roof though.

It could properly do with a proper clean out of the front drain holes. I always have trouble locating them
fabfiveferg

Postby shadowhearth » Sat, 10 Oct 2009 12:32 +0000

it actually does come out from the seals under the roof. But i just cant understand how it gets there.

If i open a seal a bit all water just stuck in there and poors out...

Some people said that changing those seals wount help at all... Thought i will look in to it now... As its burts out when we have really heavy irish rain...
shadowhearth

Next

Return to Leaks