Login    Register

rear window replacement

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
Re: rear window replacement

Postby sabik » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 4:58 +0000

Are the prices in £ or should it be €?
Glen
sabik

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:24 +0000

my prices are sterling as i live in the north....im one of those dirty nordies ;)

if it was priced in euros it would be the cheapest in ireland...although from what i gather im am cheap consider some folks in dublin charge 1200 euro for a replacement.

i dont supply mk2 vinyl hoods, for the same money mohair is far better quality , will last longer and wont shrink like a vinyl one will.
so mk1 and mk2 vinyl hoods , your better buying a cheapy off ebay and hope they do your job... i wouldnt touch them tbh

a £150 vinyl hood is ideal for a car that you are looking to sell on , but for a car you intend to keep its a false economy as 2 yrs later it will need changed again.
You get what you pay for.

As for prices going down, sadly , not with the guys i deal with and certainly not where i live....maybe i should move southwards ;)
charged_rs

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:31 +0000

and for those that ask , a trimmer in belfast makes my hoods to order

i gave him new robbins mk1 and mk2 hoods to take patterns from , so these are all good :)
charged_rs

Postby dabofoppo » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:49 +0000

i know you probably don't recommend the vinyl hood, but i tend to change cars about every year or so, and the current vinyl hood has a rip and bad repair (does not leak, but looks terrible). i would rather not order blindly from ebay and end up with a poor fitting hood... does your supplier who makes the mohair ones offer a vinyl version as well? (this way at least you will have some idea of the quality)

can you please look into this and get back to me with a price.
thanks in advance,
dave
dabofoppo

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:59 +0000

he wont do them mate , ive asked before, sorry

he mostly does classic spitfires and tvr's and vinyl doesnt feature with those
charged_rs

Postby sidewaysreilly » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:34 +0000

a £150 vinyl hood is ideal for a car that you are looking to sell on , but for a car you intend to keep its a false economy as 2 yrs later it will need changed again.
You get what you pay for.

could'nt agree more...........cheapie on our one before we got her and it shows now........all shrunk and faded but still water tight .Mohair next.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby barney » Sat, 31 Jul 2010 9:03 +0000

fitted a hood today i picked up in a breakers close to me here. the hood i took of was torn in a few places and some of the tears were getting worse every time i put the hood down, but the rear panel with the sewn in vinyl window is in good nick and the window is perfect. I removed it from the rest of the roof. I don't know what make it is but the zip has MX-5 stamped on it. €30 plus postage or can be collected at Donegal run.
barney

Postby MyNameIsDave » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 5:28 +0000

Sorry for dragging up an auld thread but was wondering how easy and how much to replace the rear window zipped part of the roof on a mark 1 ?
MyNameIsDave

Postby charged_rs » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 6:22 +0000

usually once the back window goes , its a sure sign the rest of the hood isnt far behind.
it usually isnt worth replacing...however they can be replaced

the hood and frame need taken off the car, rain rail rivets drilled out, zip stoppers removed.
the window section is then seperated.

take to a trimmer of you choice for a new one to be stitched in, then just refit it.

way too much hastle for me personally but it might be worth it if your window has been vandalised.
If the hood is just old.... buy a new hood as this isnt worth the effort

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
there is an alternative way which is much quicker and easier and its like this

with your hood up and rear window zipped up
1.using a sharp craft knife , cut around the edge of the clear plastic window in 1 go - take your time and get a nice close cut to the vinyl , but dont cut the vinyl
2. with the bit of clear window you have cut out make a frame from mdf thats about 1" bigger all the way round
3. get your new clear window thats the exact same size as the mdf frame you have just made and mask off the bit you will be looking through - use old one as a template and use perm marker to draw a line rounfd the ouside of the old one....then mask off all the inside bit.
4. drill 4 holes - one at each corner of the wooden frame and using 4 bolts, bolt the new clear window to the wooden frame, ensuring its ultra tight and wrinkle free ( a hair dryer helps) or use more than 4 bolts if you like but this is hugely important to get a crease / wrinkle free rear window.
5. go back to the hood and carefully smooth off any rough edges of the old clear vinyl window with a craft knife- this is important
6.working on the inside of the rear window panel ( from inside the car , put a bead of your fav windscreen sealer around the edge of the old window - tiger seal is good
7 now lift the wooden frame with the new window on it into place and wedge it into place with a block of wood ensuring all edges are glued down
8- go back outside to the rear window and wipe off any excess sealer from round the edges with a petrol soaked rag
9- removing masking tape before the sealer hardens
10- walk away and let the sealer dry / cure
11. once dry , remove bolts from insideof wooden frame , remove frame, manipulate bolts from excess clear plastic panel then trim excess clear plastic screen to the bondline
12. enjoy your new rear window done DIY and on the cheap
charged_rs

Postby sidewaysreilly » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 6:44 +0000

Good write up lad.
The perfection of a Car's beauty is that nothing should be there for beauty's sake.
sidewaysreilly

Postby MyNameIsDave » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:13 +0000

Thanks for your time replying, a great write up indeed it is.
MyNameIsDave

Postby BJC » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 1:14 +0000

First time owner and first time poster!

@ charged_rs; are you still fitting hoods? A few tears in mine in all the usual places and looking to replace it before the winter hits.
BJC

Postby charged_rs » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 5:58 +0000

BJC wrote:First time owner and first time poster!

@ charged_rs; are you still fitting hoods? A few tears in mine in all the usual places and looking to replace it before the winter hits.

holy thread revival

yes , still supplying and fitting softtops
charged_rs

Postby BJC » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 1:06 +0000

Good stuff, what's your pricing for a mk2 with heated glass rear window? Have one for swap if it saves any dough!
BJC

Postby charged_rs » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 9:31 +0000

mk2 black mohair with heated glass window £430 fully fitted
charged_rs

PreviousNext

Return to Leaks