Login    Register

Raindrops keep falling on my head..

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
Raindrops keep falling on my head..

Postby Roleary780 » Thu, 04 Nov 2010 6:16 +0000

Hey!!

Im enjoying my time with my 5 made a few slight changes already, however aquired a hardtop 2 days ago and today while sitting in traffic hand on the gear lever started to feel a few drops spaced out every 5 minutes.... (kinda heavy rain)

I got home, once in the garage, started to tighten the catches (would only tighten slightly), I guess only time will tell.. wasn't raining after..

Anyway, while I was at that, decided to chase a rattle behind the dash.. found it and sorted!! :) well pleased with myself.. and then continued only to change the door cards for ones from an RS.. on removing my old cards, the bottom was a little wet, Is this normal?? no evidence of water sitting in the door.

Cheers
Richard.

Oh and is it worth getting a hardtop lined?? my one isn't :( thought Mazda supplied them lined..
Shit creek survivor... I found my paddle.
Roleary780

Re: Raindrops keep falling on my head..

Postby leamyj » Thu, 04 Nov 2010 7:40 +0000

Get a bit of vaseline ( Yes, it does have its' uses) and put it on the rubbers( no sniggering). This should help to make a seal..don't go mad with it , just a light coating.

John
leamyj

Postby anniniwa » Thu, 04 Nov 2010 3:16 +0000

I have the same problem at the moment, rain coming in over the windows..seats wet, safety belt wet and tiny hole in soft top hence soaked carpet above drainholes along with mould!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Will tighten clasps and try the vaseline trick and meanwhile continue to wear a raincoat in the car!

Cheers
A
anniniwa

Postby bren » Thu, 04 Nov 2010 7:34 +0000

Wet door card could be from the window seal, they are pretty old. There was a wet stain on the passenger side but never noticed any water there. Any water should drain out bottom of door.
We are only immortal for a limited time
bren

Postby Roleary780 » Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:39 +0000

Cheers for that Bren and John.. got the vaseline! seems to have worked a treat!!

Any Ideas where to get those seals? And are they easy to replace?? I would prefer not to make a mess of it..
Also I think I need the seals on the soft top for over the drivers window... have a similar problem to ann..

When the car has been sitting idle in the rain it seems dry, but once you drive off water starts dripping in where the forward seal meets the centre seal (over drivers side door)

Cheers
Richard.
Roleary780

Postby Roleary780 » Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:41 +0000

Oh and sorry.. anyone have any suggestions as to getting a hardtop lined??
Roleary780

Postby CashelMX5 » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:28 +0000

Frank used a neat soundproofing material to line his and I think someone else did the same, with great results.

Over to you Frank!
CashelMX5

Postby bren » Sun, 14 Nov 2010 5:14 +0000

You can get the window seals at MX5 parts or Autolinks, expensive thats why I never bothered.
We are only immortal for a limited time
bren

Postby franksm » Thu, 18 Nov 2010 9:11 +0000

Hey lads

Vaseline is a short term solution, but it's messy and actually attracts and holds dirt & grit that will damage the rubber seal. Long term solution is, unless the seals are too far gone (ripped, cracked, stretched or squashed) is to use Aerospace 303 Protectant. This is what they're coated in from the factory, and it's well known in the classic car fraternity - it gives a kind of tacky feel to the rubber and makes a perfect seal.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0478272897

It's a small world after all. It's a small, small world
franksm

Postby franksm » Thu, 18 Nov 2010 9:18 +0000

Oh yeah, the hardtop lining - I removed everything from the hardtop, cleaned it with white spirits and the laid on some Dynmat Xtreme. It's expensive, and there are other copies - not sure how good they are, but the Dynamat is fantastic. Zero noise coming through my roof now. It's like tar or bitumin in a roll, about 3mm thick - selfadhesive on one side, silver backing on d'udder.

On top of that, I sprayed some glue from an aerosol and then laid on some fabric material - couldn't get black so just got something similar to alcantara/suede with the idea of spraying it black later (sounds silly, but in practice works fine)

It's a small world after all. It's a small, small world
franksm

Postby Roleary780 » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:47 +0000

Frank!

Thanks a million for that, Lining looks great!! Thats exactly what i was looking for..
I'm going to look for that aerospace 303, but maybe a smaller bottle! doubt I would have much use for a gallon!!

Always appreciate the amount of detail you include with your posts!

Richard.
Roleary780

Return to Leaks