Login    Register

Drain holes

Leaking roofs and window seals, blocked channels, and cracked rain rails.
If there's water getting in, look here.
  • Author
Re: Drain holes

Postby Stig » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 2:55 +0000

well done Shena!

don't forget the rest......
http://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/images/sb034_94_1.gif :wink:
Stig

Postby shenab » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 5:43 +0000

I think this will involved a lot of lying on the ground and with the rain we've had lately I think I might wait a bit.

What effect does water in the sills have on the car? can it get inside?

thanks guys .. I'm truly a novice here

S
"I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace.
Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war"
- Albert Einstein
shenab

Postby Medic5 » Fri, 04 Sep 2009 8:41 +0000

Yes Shenab, if the sills fill it will get into the car and soak the carpet!
Trust me, it happened to me. Took a few corners and heard a swishing sound in the doors, then one morning got up and had the ultimate pimp......a swimming pool! So don't leave it too long to clear it.
Medic5

Postby smurfit06 » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 1:22 +0000

This may be naive of me, and forgive me if I am, but aren't you meant o push the hanger up from the bottom so that the valve doesn't get damaged?
smurfit06

Postby Steve » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 2:01 +0000

I *think* its down as the valve opens that way. If you can pull the tool you've used to clear the drain all the way out (going top to bottom) all the better.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby aidanodr » Tue, 24 Apr 2012 4:22 +0000

Hi Guys,

This is the first bout of real bad rain I have had with my relatively new 03 Nevada MX5. I noticed that behind the seat belt units where the drain holes are - that area on the driver side is quiet wet. That is the carpet around it and the inside of the softtop. A picture might be better to show:

drainhole1.jpg

Just wondering what could be up with this. The other drain hole on the passenger side is not as bad, the carpet is not wet. However the inside of the soft top is too. I have no other leaks any where else - so far.

If the drain holes are there I assume water has to be deliberately coming in this way? ie their purpose?

I also notice, in this picture, a bit down the drain hole as if something is "cracked"? Is this a bust valve i wonder, previous owner poking something down there?

If you look at the pic up left top you can see a bit of the roof material with a plastic strip on it. Is this meant to be like this? By the way its a cloth top.

I assume the plastic area around the luminescent bolt is the RAIN RAIL?

HERES ANOTHER PICTURE:

drainhole2.jpg

This is the soft top above the drain hole - you can see the seatbelt pillar bottom left. Note the inside is quiet wet. I assume this should NOT be the case? Which means the integrity of my soft top is compromised / going POROUS? This is after a real bad rain downpour here in Cork this afternoon ..

Aidan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aidanodr

Postby Paschal » Wed, 25 Apr 2012 7:21 +0000

I suspect the drainhole needs to be cleared, it looks like it is backing up. No expert so await comments from others. See earlier posts on how to....
Paschal

Postby aidanodr » Thu, 26 Apr 2012 2:09 +0000

Thanks Pascal,

Yip - the drain holes are clear now. Re the fabric roof itself I think its time to reproof it. I did this on another MX I had using the AUTOGLYM kit. Worked a treat with loads of beading which aint happening at the moment.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_185456_langId_-1_categoryId_212511

Aidan
aidanodr

Postby fobbzy » Thu, 26 Apr 2012 7:39 +0000

Hey Aidanodr..... following this post..... even shoved the snake eye camera from work down the drain holes to make sure they were definately clear...... Thinking of using the autoglym product you used on your mohair roof ....would you recomend it???????
07 Mk 3.... black..... one wife... one gold fish.....
fobbzy

Postby aidanodr » Thu, 26 Apr 2012 9:18 +0000

Hi fobbzy,

Yes I would recommend the Autoglym kit, I just bought a new kit today from Halfords ( about €27 ). I used most of the previous kit I had on my last MX5. Once finished you get some nice beading on your soft top.

Actually while in Halfords ( Mahon, Cork ) - for anyone interested - I found out they do paint mixing. You can buy it in any amount for the colour you require. I mentioned I had an 03 MX Nevada Strato Blue - he looked up the computer, found it. All I needed was enough for touchups so he pulled out a box of empty touchup pens, made up the colour, filled the pen - the lot €3.

Cheers
Aidan
aidanodr

Postby Fergus » Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:05 +0000

If you have a 'Mohair' soft top then you HAVE TO seal it ! The Autoglym kit is what I use as well. When you see that the rain/water is not 'beading' on the roof then it's time to give it another coat & leave it dry in.
Fergus

Postby jack hoey » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 6:35 +0000

I have a 2006 mk3 which is in daily use. I've had it for 7 months and it's great fun at any speed. I have long wanted to check the the drain holesr. I've got a trumpet brush, but I might as well have bought the trumpet, as this afternoon's session ended in ignominious failure......again. Can't find where to insert the brush (pause for coarse laughter) The "red mist" was beginning to come down,so it was time to stop. Is there any special knack with the mk3?
jack hoey

Postby fobbzy » Fri, 11 Oct 2013 9:55 +0000

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=389787

This link shows you where to go looking. Can be hard to find first time but once you have it it is simple. Always push the cleaner from the top and out the bottom as if you pull it the other way you can invert the small flap valve and you will get an increase in road noise in the car..... Warren
07 Mk 3.... black..... one wife... one gold fish.....
fobbzy

Postby TeenaG » Sat, 13 Dec 2014 2:19 +0000

....and 5 years later...

Ok, I've been draining me sills for years now....but I just heard something new that has got me thinking.

This year, my footwell is soaking - soggy carpet the works. Sills are clear, no sloshing etc.. bit of a mystery. I've mopped up the water with paper and it's drying out, finally. But I'm still wondering how it collected there.

A chap 'down country' whose MRS has a '5' says there is a 'tray' underneath the bottom of the car that fills, when the flaps get stuck. This is news to me. He insists that the drain holes empty into a tray beneath the car, and he doesn't seem to know about the sill holes that I've been happily poking for years.

According to him, he nearly dismantled the flamin' car to get to this 'tray'. But he reckons this is my problem.

Like, really?

TeenaG :?
Climbed Elbrus, Island Peak, Kilimanjaro, Elgon, Everest BC, Mulhacen, Elgon, Kayaked the Liffey to the Nile, swam the Liffey, the Lee & packed ten triathlons into a year... catch me blogging on: http://www.teenagates.com
TeenaG

Postby Yolo » Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:15 +0000

This is news to me. If you have water at the front in the footwell check your window seals and the heating system to make sure it's not leaking....
1992 Mk1 Eunos silver
Mk2 suspension
IL Motorsport bushes
Mk2.5 leather seats
1.8 brake upgrade
learning slowly

http://www.mazdamenders.net
Yolo

PreviousNext

Return to Leaks