Login    Register

oil gage problam moves

Post your problems and maybe someone can help
  • Author
oil gage problam moves

Postby clio » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 1:44 +0000

Hi Lads and Ladys can enybody help me !!!!

i have a little problam with my mx5 i hope you can help me ,i had my mx5 front bonnet open (outside) and i was in the house getting a few cloth to clean my mx5 when i was called away and i forgot the the bonnet was open and a heavy rain came down and it lasted about half an hour or more !!! i started up my car and drove it around for a few mins just to get rid of the wet in the engine it was grand no probs!! i let my car sit in my garden for a few days,when i started up the engine the oil gage moves up to 8 but
when i driving the mx5 i found that the (in the dashboard)every time i RPM up a bit the oil gage movies from center 3 up to 6 and 8 at times (so am driving and i want to change gear , RPM to go up a grear the oil gage goses up to 6 or 8 but when i am stop the oil gage gose to the center 3 with is normal it has never done this befor,
just wounder is this a problam for the engine ?or is it ok
thanks ken
clio

Re: oil gage problam moves

Postby leamyj » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 1:54 +0000

Absolutely perfect Ken, nothing wrong with that gauge. Your oil will be "gloopy" on a cold start which means the pump has to work harder to circulate it, hence the "higher" pressure reading when you start the engine. As the oil warms up , it becomes less "gloopy" and it becomes easier for the pump to do its job, giving a lower pressure reading.
The reading will change when accelerating simply because the increased engine revs make the pump work harder, therefore higher reading on high revs and vice-versa.

The only thing you need to look out for is either a constant high or constant low reading, either of these would indicate a problem.

Hope this helps :wink:

John

By the way, what reading were you getting on the gauge before the engine got a shower??
leamyj

Postby clio » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 2:02 +0000

leamyj wrote:Absolutely perfect Ken, nothing wrong with that gauge. Your oil will be "gloopy" on a cold start which means the pump has to work harder to circulate it, hence the "higher" pressure reading when you start the engine. As the oil warms up , it becomes less "gloopy" and it becomes easier for the pump to do its job, giving a lower pressure reading.
The reading will change when accelerating simply because the increased engine revs make the pump work harder, therefore higher reading on high revs and vice-versa.

The only thing you need to look out for is either a constant high or constant low reading, either of these would indicate a problem.

Hope this helps :wink:

hi ya thanks for that !!!! yep sound good !!!! befor the shower the oil gage was
in the middle 3 alway it never moved !!

John

By the way, what reading were you getting on the gauge before the engine got a shower??
clio

Postby leamyj » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 7:26 +0000

hi ya thanks for that !!!! yep sound good !!!! befor the shower the oil gage was
in the middle 3 alway it never moved !!

Never moved??? must have been stuck or else the sensor on the engine was faulty. Keep an eye to its operation and if it sticks again you'll have to consider further action!
John
leamyj

Postby Steve » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 9:34 +0000

The sensor is on the block just behind the oil filter. You can clean the connector with a bit of sandpaper for a good signal if you unplug the connector.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Stig » Mon, 12 Oct 2009 9:45 +0000

leamyj wrote: Your oil will be "gloopy" on a cold start

I like it when you get all technical John :mrgreen:
Stig

Postby leamyj » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 6:42 +0000

DaStig wrote:
leamyj wrote: Your oil will be "gloopy" on a cold start

I like it when you get all technical John :mrgreen:

"gloopy"... thick as sh*t, not free running , that's what it would say in wikipedia if there was a listing for it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :wink:

John
leamyj

Postby clio » Tue, 13 Oct 2009 1:08 +0000

thanks lads i will keep an eye on it and if enything happens i will let you know
and i will try to clean the connection

thanks ken :alien:
clio

Return to Engine & drivetrain