Login    Register

Supercharger Cold Idle Issue

Post your problems and maybe someone can help
  • Author
Supercharger Cold Idle Issue

Postby thatemmetguy » Thu, 05 Sep 2024 8:18 +0000

Hey guys, I have recently installed (with the help of a friend that knows a lot more than I do) a supercharger using the SR1 kit from bofi. I have a strange issue with a cold start idle where the revs go every second or so from ~1000 to ~1800 until the engine warms up. It's a MK1 1998 1.6. I went for the ME442 which is running off a base turbo tune which runs fine when the engine gets to temperature. As far as we're aware, there are no leaks.
If there's anyone that can offer a tip, it would be appreciated. If more information is needed, I'll give what I can. If someone that's able to spot an issue with the tune, I can send the MEITE file. The car is going for a tune in October but it's just so ratty sounding sitting starting it up.

Video of sound https://youtube.com/shorts/aq7KWP9p8YI? ... zhkfld1c1d

Bofi Kit https://bofiracing.co.uk/forced-inducti ... b/#chassis
thatemmetguy

Re: Supercharger Cold Idle Issue

Postby Pops » Fri, 06 Sep 2024 11:43 +0000

Hi, welcome. I don't have any experience of aftermarket kits on the mx5 but compared to the supercharged slk I had your charger sounded noisy on idle, maybe it's a direct drive pulley type though. Have you checked for vacuum leaks and that the base timing is correct.
Steve should see your post and would have a much better idea for you
Pops

Postby Steve » Mon, 09 Sep 2024 10:39 +0000

Hi, I think I met you yesterday at Galway's cars and coffee, good to chat, lovely install :-) Yes, sounds like a vacuum or idle control valve, I'd def start with the vacuum leaks. Let us know how you get on
Steve
Site Admin

Postby thatemmetguy » Tue, 17 Sep 2024 5:46 +0000

Ok so, first off cheers for the reply lads and it was very nice to chat to you Steve. I went crazy convinced that it was a vacuum leak when it ended up being a MEITE tuning option in the idle settings (duh). Its sorted now and idles at a lovely 1300 at cold and drops to ~1000 when warmed up. Im meant to go to a proper tuner in october so, hopefully ill see all 800hp :wink:
Cheers again for the quick replies guys.
thatemmetguy

Return to Engine & drivetrain