Login    Register

No EGR valve.

Post your problems and maybe someone can help
  • Author
No EGR valve.

Postby Johnny » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 1:19 +0000

Wasn’t doin much one of the evenings gone by so I decided I might clean the EGR valve and the top half of the intake manifold just for the sake of it. Didnt need to be done as car is running 100%.
Anyway, seen some fella doin it on youtube and looked like a handy little diy job with carb cleaner etc. So pulled the hood and looked at the back(left hand side) of the intake manifold and there it was, "gone". No EGR valve.

Stuck my head in for a closer look and it seems that it has been removed and blanked off.

So I have a few questions about this: (the car is a 1998 Jap 1.8 mk2 RS 6speed)

1. Do JDMs of this year have an EGR valve, if so then it was obviously removed and blanked by a previous owner.
2. Looking at the close up image, should the other hole between the bolts also be blanked off or is it ok as is.
3. Is not having the EGR going to do any harm to the car in the long term.

The reason I ask is that I had to replace the CAT about a month ago for NCT as high idle emissions were sky high and CAT was fecked. Would not having the EGR valve damage the CAT over time.

The EGR valve apperantly does the folloing:
"The EGR valve helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases. The EGR valve is vital to your car's emission controls. Exhaust gas recirculation helps to keep huge amounts of unburned fuel from being released into the atmosphere. This unburned fuel is thought to be a huge contributor to greenhouse gas build-up. That's why an EGR system became mandatory on all new vehicles some time ago."
Johnny

Re: No EGR valve.

Postby MX5Spares » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 4:57 +0000

JDM cars dont have EGR valves in this early cars.Its EU emissions thing.Ignore it and clean away the dirt....
MX5Spares

Postby Johnny » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:01 +0000

Good stuff, thanks Robert, one less thing to go wrong.
Johnny

Postby Johnny » Tue, 08 Dec 2015 10:58 +0000

Looking at the 2nd pic above, should that hole with threaded bolts each side also be blanked off ??? As Robert has said above, cars of this year/type didn't have an egr valve, but if you were to blank a one which had an egr I notice that the blanking kit comes with 2 blanking plates. http://www.autolinkmx5.com/egr-valve-re ... 7431-p.asp
Johnny

Postby MX5Spares » Tue, 08 Dec 2015 9:11 +0000

Leave it as it is.That other hole is blanked internally otherwise car would not idle etc as it would be drawing air in.
MX5Spares

Return to Engine & drivetrain