Login    Register

Crank bolt

Post your problems and maybe someone can help
  • Author
Crank bolt

Postby Johnny » Thu, 02 Feb 2017 10:28 +0000

Goin at this timing belt/water pump job over the next few evenings.
I don't have a torque wrench, do I really need one for tightening down the crank bolt or can I just tighten it down hard with breaker bar.
Also I see where people say to put locktite or something on bolt, is this a must. Mk2 rs 1.8.
Johnny

Re: Crank bolt

Postby MX5Spares » Thu, 02 Feb 2017 6:07 +0000

Johnny.Be CAREFUL when you take out the woodruff key in the crank.Mark it exactly the way it comes out and refit same way.It looks like it can go in any old way but there is actually a small taper on one end, one side only, that fits in to the crankshaft cutting (sloped on inside )Tippex or paint etc will do nd remember not to rub it off.Any queries you have my number

I use the air gun on the bolt as it does have specific torque.
MX5Spares

Postby Johnny » Thu, 02 Feb 2017 7:44 +0000

Will do Robert saw that on YouTube alright. Tightening down the cam bolt will be one of the last things I'll be doing so might just tighten it down and call in to local garage and use their torque wrench. Anyway have to start yet, but in no panic, will do an odd hour here and there in the evenings.
Any need for that loctite on the bolt.
Johnny

Postby MX5Spares » Fri, 03 Feb 2017 7:21 +0000

Dont really think you need loctite if its torqued up correctly and woodruff key is in correctly.The only issues arise when woodruff key is fitted wrongly and then torqued up but the pulley may not actually be tight on the crankshaft
MX5Spares

Return to Engine & drivetrain