Login    Register

Mk3 owners beware

Post your problems and maybe someone can help
  • Author
Mk3 owners beware

Postby MX5Spares » Sun, 19 Feb 2017 9:26 +0000

Extract form another well known website; Moral of the story.Check you oil level weekly if you own mk3 mx5. From the problems section, some of you know that my Mk3 has knackered big ends. Basically meaning a new engine is required.

It's a 2006 with 106k miles.

I had one quote come through for £3200 inc vat for the supply and fit of a re-manufactured engine to factory / as new spec + a new clutch. Took me ages to get this as well, as there are a lot of shysters and scammers when it comes to rebuilt engines. This place looked ok, as I can't find anything derogatory and they are a member of the Federation of Engine Re-manufacturers.
I'm waiting for a cost from Rodders as well, as he is well respected here and seems a really good bloke. Trouble is, he's a long way away and I'd have to get the car transported at a cost of circa £185 each way.
I'm now really not sure what to.
Never been really keen on the Mk2's and whilst I kinda like the Mk1's - I still prefer the looks / interior etc of the Mk3.
I'm also really cautious of trying to find a s/h engine , even if a low miler. It seems the cause of these big end failures (which appear to becoming remarkably common on the Mk3's) is caused by running low on oil between services. Therefore (imo) a full service history is no guarantee you won't get big end issues. It's not uncommon at all for people to not check the oil between services.
So, do I spend a fortune, but safe in the knowledge the engine will be fine for years?, or cut my losses and sell as a non runner (although it does still run per se).
I'm also now even loathe to buy ANY s/h Mk3 tbh.
MX5Spares

Return to Engine & drivetrain